don't click here

The Sonic 3, 20th Anniversary & Knuckles Thread

Discussion in 'General Sonic Discussion' started by The Taxman, Oct 18, 2014.

1. Donnie Paradox

Donnie Paradox

Some Gai Member
    I can always bring that up to the crew at Sonic Paradox (Sonic Shorts/SEGA Shorts guys) and see what they think. The SEGA Shorts are low on animators so there's still time to send them ideas. The thing is is that our YouTube channel was hacked and we have to make a new one so our audience won't be well to as turn to as before.

2. big smile

big smile

Oldbie
    That would be awesome. I was going to send them a YouTube message, but if you already know them, it will be more effective. Thanks for your help!

3. Mr Lange

Mr Lange

A wise guy eh. I know how to DEAL with wise guys. Member
    The Land of Waldos
    Sonic Utopia, Sonic Overture
    Wasn't there some talk just recently about treading more lightly with these efforts getting attention, and already you guys are suggesting getting a Sonic Shorts parody made for the campaign? That's a tad bit dangerous considering all the crazy things the animators do. It's a fun and exciting idea on the surface but also just a novel one that could go terribly wrong in practice. I'd say if you're going for a Sonic Shorts sketch for promotion, be careful with the sketch. Don't want it to send any wrong signals.

4. big smile

big smile

Oldbie
    Actually that's a good point. I just thought it would be a good way to get the URL out. But you are right, someone might assume the sketch is related to the game.

Maybe it's best to just stick to news & lets play type channels.

5. Donnie Paradox

Donnie Paradox

Some Gai Member
    The animators do get wild sometimes but they also have boundaries. More so now than they did than five years ago. You'd be surprised at how high their standards are with what becomes a short and what doesn't now.

EDIT: A few of them are interested in doing the idea.

6. Josh

Josh

Oldbie
    USA
    Good news, the "Andy" Android emulator runs a lot better than BlueStacks. Aside from occasional pauses, it's pretty much perfect. I also wish I could figure out how to disable the home/back/settings display, but that's more for my own purposes. I can just crop them out for the video. Speaking of the video, I should, most likely, have it ready to go by tomorrow! I'll probably pop in here and let you guys take a look when it's done, to make sure it's on-point and that I didn't miss anything critical.

7. Josh

Josh

Oldbie
    USA
    Sorry for the double post (which may well be automatically integrated into my previous one), but here's the script I'm working with. It's a touch longer than I'd like:

I've got a pretty good idea of what I want to show for each section, but can anyone recommend a really bad mobile port I can use to contrast with Sonic? I'm thinking I may severely cut down that section anyhow, 'cause the shorter I can make this while still creating some incentive, the better.

If I don't hear any feedback within the next hour or so, I'll go ahead with this script.

8. 360

Light Vision Overdrive Oldbie
    United Kingdom
    Sonic Neon
    So the petition has now reached 3.3K signatures. Kai from Jush Push Start PMed on NeoGAF to say that he posted an article and has thus come through for us which you can see here. I also noticed we were featured on this random guy's Tumblr post here so I guess that's cool too.

I'll see if I can garner another wave of press support from tomorrow. I think this campaign needs another injection of energy. Wish me luck.

9. MykonosFan

MykonosFan

MODE CHANGE. Moderator
    Josh, is there a way you could show the un-updated Sonic 1 / 2 iOS version? That could be a good comparison.

10. Josh

Josh

Oldbie
    USA
    I figure I'll just compare it to the original games. That's essentially what the original iOS versions were, anyway, right?

11. Skyler

Skyler

Neonネオン Cowgirlカウガール Site Staff
    Hellafornia
    The next audtion
    I have footage of the old versions on my YouTube channel. I'm on my phone right now, so it'll take me a minute.

EDIT:

Sonic 1: http://youtu.be/vo3CHjFA79c

Sonic 2: http://youtu.be/xZjyNYDS1QM

12. Josh

Josh

Oldbie
    USA
    I think it may be confusing for people if I use that footage at the start. Besides, I've got a different game in mind to show off a port done badly...

13. Fantastic

Fantastic

Born on an island, in the heavens. Member
    Sonic Genesis?

EDIT: Oh, nevermind, mobile ports.

14. Josh

Josh

Oldbie
    USA
    I ended up shortening the intro. This video is unlisted for now, but I'll be making it public tomorrow afternoon to maximize visibility. In addition to informing my subscribers, it was made with the idea that it might be used to quickly communicate what the remastered editions are and why we want this, so please feel free to spread it around.

[youtube]http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=IhUA3gGHk5Q[/youtube]

15. TheKazeblade

TheKazeblade

"Our Life is More than a Side-Effect" Member
    Great job! The video is perfect :)

16. TheOcelot

TheOcelot

Scooty Puff Jr sucks! Member
    Yeah the video is good. Short and to the point which is all it needs to be. You're probably correct not to mention anything about the game not being re-released - at least in part - due to legal reasons.

A small point. It might not matter, but from about 0:42 in the video you play Sonic 3's ending-credits music in the background. Isn't that one of the tracks which we think was contributed - at least in part - by Michael Jackson? I'm just wondering if it might not be appropriate to use that particular track if it could be partly responsible for holding up a future release of the game?

We don't want to give SEGA the impression that they have to re-release the game with the original Genesis soundtrack intact. If they have to replace a few of the tracks in a future release, then that's fine with me.

17. big smile

big smile

Oldbie
    An excellent video!

Some thoughts:
    I think it might be an idea to mention Christian Whitehead (Taxman) and Simon Thomley (Stealth) by name. We don't want Sega handing over the project to, say, M2.
    I agree with OcelotBot about removing the alleged MJ track.
    I was going to suggest that it might be worth including a reference to the fact that fans are happy to play the game with a new soundtrack, as it is important for Sega to know that we will buy these games with new music. But on second thoughts, the petition page already conveys that, so I don't think it is necessary.
    I personally would trim down the footage of Sonic falling Mystic Cave Zone and then extended the footage of him actually in Hidden Palace. The Hidden Palace footage goes by quite quickly and so doesn't quite have the impact it could have. It might even be worth adding a split second pause just so the more casual viewer can take in the fact that these remakes have lost content.
    At the end it might be worth saying "how to play the remasters with a physical controller on phone, PC or Mac" as I think a lot of people don't realise that the phone versions support physical controllers.

Overall this video is of a high standard. It's extremely professional and conveys all the information. I must also stress that the thoughts I've listed above are only minor nitpicky style issues.

18. steveswede

steveswede

Ask my hand
    Fighting against the Unitary State of Europe
    Video is excellent.

19. TheKazeblade

TheKazeblade

"Our Life is More than a Side-Effect" Member
    I don't think mentioning Stealth and Taxman is really necessary. That gets into details that aren't necessary to the message, and feels a little extraneous.

20. Josh

Josh

Oldbie
    USA
    Video is now live, and I've posted it on a few subreddits:

r/sega: http://www.reddit.com/r/SEGA/comments/2ycy44/the_remastered_editions_of_classic_sonic_games/
    r/retrogames: http://www.reddit.com/r/retrogames/comments/2ycze0/the_remastered_editions_of_classic_sonic_games/
    r/sonic: http://www.reddit.com/r/sonic/comments/2yd0u8/the_remastered_editions_of_classic_sonic_games/

I also tried posting on r/sonicthehedgehog, but I appear to still be shadowbanned there from posting my retrospectives last summer. Some people really hate original content, don't they? :P I can't really think of many other subreddits where it wouldn't get either ignored, break some kind of "no petitions" rule, or just be downvoted to oblivion because Sonic.