don't click here

RIP Greg Martin

Discussion in 'General Sonic Discussion' started by Buyatari, Jan 4, 2014.

1. SSMB?

As the obit says Greg died unexpectedly. He didn't return emails but we didn't think anything of it. Months go by and so we start contacting people only to find out the worst.

2. GeneHF

GeneHF

SEGA-ier than you'll potentially ever be. Site Staff
    Scenic Studiopolis
    Complete Global Conquest
    You know, I'd really like to see one of the better artists out there in the community attempt to ink this like the other arts and then we can try to design a custom cover for Sonic and Knuckles or something.

3. Barry the Nomad

Barry the Nomad

Site Staff
    Chicago
    SEGAbits
    If somebody were to do that, I could easily drop the image into one of my Genesis templates that I created when making the Sonic 4 custom covers.

4. Dark Sonic

Dark Sonic

Working on my art!
    Seeing as how I've never seen this art anywhere before, what are the chances that this was a design for a Sonic & Knuckles cover until Sega decided to keep constant with that lock on logo.

5. Lanzer

Lanzer

The saber calls for its master... Member
    Glendale, AZ
    Living life.
    Sonic Stadium Message Boards, also known as Sonic Stadium. sort of our brother message board, run by different people though. some of us are from their (like me) and some of the Retro members and staff are members at SSMB too. I'm kind of surprised you haven't heard about it, its been around for just as long as Retro has.

Oh, I see. What a horrible way to find out that a friend died. the Obit. doesn't menction anything about how he died, was he sick?

6. Black Squirrel

Black Squirrel

no reverse gear Wiki Sysop
    Northumberland, UK
    steamboat wiki
    I'd say pretty low because Tails is in shot

7. This might be the last of the Greg Martin Sonic pre-production design pencil sketches.

Dan and I purchased close to 40 of these from Greg and we ended up splitting them between us. So together we each have close to 20 each. However, not all of them were related to Sonic. Unless Dan has some others related to Sonic (which he may not) or I've misplaced one somewhere then this one may be the last of them.

[​IMG]

8. Black Squirrel

Black Squirrel

Northumberland, UK
    steamboat wiki
    (Scans of not-Sonic stuff is still useful for Sega Retro)

9. No one happened to get his artwork for the other productions he was in on, did they? Much of it is gold. Hrmm...
    Anyway, it's weird to see him shift from using his Classic Robotnik interpretation to AoStH-style Robotnik for Triple Trouble.

10. We did pick up a few non-videogame pieces from Greg over the years. According to Dan who was the last of us to speak with him, Greg owned none of that stuff at the time of his passing.

11. Found 3 more Greg Martin Sonic pre-production designs and this time with color.

[​IMG]

[​IMG]

[​IMG]

12. FlackoWeasel

FlackoWeasel

Blue cheese lover! Member
    Is it Sonic Labyrinth sketch? Never seen such picture before. Really really love his style and shading. Feels amazing to see something new! I'd try to see how well I can get this style down of pure curiousity. I'll draw something to show respect for this guy.

13. Dark Sonic

Dark Sonic

Working on my art!
    American Sonic got a hell of a lot better once they ditched the mohawk and smoothed out the ass face.

14. If this is something you guys are serious about I can ask another illustrator who has worked with Greg in the past to finish it.

15. Blastfrog

Blastfrog

See ya starside. Member
    That would actually be really cool. It'd be nice to see this in finished form.

16. Skyler

Skyler

Neonネオン Cowgirlカウガール Site Staff
    Hellafornia
    The next audtion
    That would be very much appreciated if you can, yes. This looks like a great picture that a lot of people would love to see finished.

17. I have no doubt that we can make that happen. This way we can get it as close as possible to how it would have looked. Just make sure THIS is the one you guys want done before I start asking for favors.

18. GeneHF

GeneHF

SEGA-ier than you'll potentially ever be. Site Staff
    Scenic Studiopolis
    Complete Global Conquest
    Well, the other option, at least as far as Sonic ones go, is the one of Sonic in Metropolis Zone or Sonic Labyrinth. The others were eventually finalized in some form.

Then, let's just make an unofficial poll.

19. Skyler

Skyler

Neonネオン Cowgirlカウガール Site Staff
    Hellafornia
    The next audtion
    My vote is staying as is. It's too good to not be finished.

20. Black Squirrel

Black Squirrel

Northumberland, UK
    steamboat wiki
    I think you should be reluctant about bothering people about 20 year old sketches - someone in this community might be able to do just as good of a job

also

http://info.sonicretro.org/File:Sonic_DancePower_5_front_cover.png

it might have already been done?

p.s. that labyrinthy one looks really familiar but I can't work out where it was used.