don't click here

Sonic Before the Sequel Aftermath

Discussion in 'Fangaming Discussion' started by LakeFeperd, Nov 24, 2012.

1. LakeFeperd

LakeFeperd

Spark the electric jester
    http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=cT-Wn0w-LHY

Edit: it's released
    https://sites.google.com/site/sonicbts/aftermath

[​IMG]

So, while ATS's soundtrack is still in production, I decided to gather some experience in working with a slightly different gameplay style for a classic sonic game.
    And yes, technically this game is also finished, but I don't want to release it before ATS, so, yeah.
    Oh, and the game is pretty short, might take just half an hour to finish.

Also, I don't think this is really a metroidvania style sonic game, since there is no castlevania elements. I guess.

2. Lanzer

Lanzer

The saber calls for its master... Member
    Glendale, AZ
    Living life.
    Looks interesting. I'll give it a try especally since its coming from the likes of you and Falk. :)

3. Falk

Falk

I'm not involved in this, hahaha. In fact the existence of this game makes me feel guilty because we can't keep up with Lake. :V

4. Lanzer

Lanzer

The saber calls for its master... Member
    Glendale, AZ
    Living life.
    Oh? so who will be composing this time around? or will the tracks be recycled?

5. LakeFeperd

LakeFeperd

@Lanzer
    they are all recycled from BTS'12 =P
    sorry if that is disappointing, but this is just an experiment after all

6. TheInvisibleSun

TheInvisibleSun

OVER THE TOP TECHNO-BLAST Member
    Buffalo, NY, USA
    The Water
    I for one don't mind this at all!

7. Chris Highwind

Chris Highwind

Statesville, NC
    Slacking
    A metroidvania game is a game that's actually pretty open-ended, in that you can go from one area to the next and back, so you could go from Area 1 to Area 2, yet take the same route from Area 2 to Area 1 (Most of the time). There's no linear level path, and you're free to explore the areas you can access, as well as collect upgrades that allow you to access more areas. Metroidvania started out as the term for most Castlevania games starting with Symphony of the Night that take take on the style of gameplay originally seen in the Metroid games, and eventually just stuck for every game that's between linear games such as the original Sonic games, and wide-open sandboxes such as GTA or, to go to the full extreme, Minecraft.

If BTSA fits that, yeah, it's a metroidvania.

8. BlazeHedgehog

BlazeHedgehog

A "Community Enigma"? Oldbie
    Good luck with this. I basically gave up on Sonic: The Fated Hour because I couldn't find a good, stable, fun way to make a Sonic Metroidvania game work with the feel I was striving to achieve. There also other problems with the project, however, which we won't go in to.

9. LakeFeperd

LakeFeperd

@Chris Highwind
    if you look at a level map of all the levels in this game, you will think that the game is non linear, since you go back to some levels to open up paths to new ones but in reality, if you play the game, you will notice that it's a pretty linear game.
    the only thing that's not linear about it is the same exporation factor that's already present in any classic sonic game.
    I don't think the way classic sonic games work (small resolution and etc) was really made for a world like that.
    that's why I don't really think this game fits in the metroidvania category. but still, I'm going to wait until I see somebody else playing it to jump into any conclusion.

10. Tiller

Tiller

HDK & World Runner
    Welp that's interesting. I'll give it a go when that comes out. Not sure how the direction would work out. Would this be more like the levels in Super Mario Mario than Metroidvania?

11. LakeFeperd

LakeFeperd

So... anybody here wanna do some playtesting?

oh, and I don't mean beta test, just a playtest and if anyone of you is able to record your first playthrough, please do it. I really need to see how other people will play it.

12. Greg the Cat

Greg the Cat

I'm gonna draw it! Banned
    A Zone Unknown of Title
    Comics from the Mind of Yours Truly, A little workshop of animation, Sonic FreeRunner
    I think that I can do just that. Send it my way and I'll probably have a livestream of it over the weekend. I'll make sure to alert you when I get it going.

13. Tiller

Tiller

HDK & World Runner
    Sure thing. I recorded a lot of stuff and did some video editing for the After the Sequel demo because I needed to learn how to use bandicam and Vegas for a future video project.

14. TheKazeblade

TheKazeblade

"Our Life is More than a Side-Effect" Member
    A Metroidvania-esque Sonic game was an idea I had long ago, but never had the ability to do it myself. But this looks cool, and you have done no wrong thus far, Falk, so I am extremely excited to see this baby in action :D

15. Greg the Cat

Greg the Cat

A Zone Unknown of Title
    Comics from the Mind of Yours Truly, A little workshop of animation, Sonic FreeRunner
    Get ready.

http://www.livestream.com/thelongcriercat?t=19263

Livestream doesn't seem to work at the moment, but the moment it does I'm ready. We'll be starting at hopefully 3:00 p.m. CST. Any later and it will be 4:00 p.m.

16. S0LV0

S0LV0

Sonic Generations Helpdesk Tech Member
    Spagonia
    Abusing SMPS
    If it's not too late Lake, I'd like to test/record this game for you. It's looking really nice, and I'd love to be able to help. ^_^

17. Greg the Cat

Greg the Cat

A Zone Unknown of Title
    http://www.livestream.com/thelongcriercat?t=19263

And we're on.

18. LakeFeperd

LakeFeperd

Edit: I'm now calling this game a "Metronic" Sonic game. (Metroid + Sonic) since it's still a sonic game, with metroid elements.

Metroidvania is just a mix between castlevania and metroid. and this game isnt castlevania so... yeah.

@Greg
    alright, just make sure to not make this recording public after it's over.
    I want to see more blind playthroughs of the game once it's released.
    also it has a few spoilers in it. =P

19. I wouldn't mind doing a playtest. All I have to dois record it and send the recording your way right?

20. Thousand Pancake

Thousand Pancake

Being a food you put milk on and then eat in the m Member
    I've always just taken Metroidvania to mean "2D platform game with non-linear level design".