don't click here

The Little Details That Just Bug You

Discussion in 'General Sonic Discussion' started by TheKazeblade, Oct 28, 2012.

1. TheKazeblade

TheKazeblade

"Our Life is More than a Side-Effect" Member
    Is there anything in the franchise that is just a pet-peeve to you? Not major things like gameplay, design, or things like that, but just specific instances within the games that stand out as wrong. Just nitpicks that don't ruin the game for you, but you can't help but notice.

For me, it's always driven me crazy that Sonic Team seems to have forgotten Metal Sonic has a jet-engine built into his chest. They seem to have him utilize it as a regular old jetpack without the turbine on his front rotoating, which is always what I thought it was. I loved how you saw it, at least from the back, starting up and spinning in the OVA, as opposed to the games in which it is static. I think actually depicting it as a jet engine would make him feel much more dangerous of a character.

Also, in Sonic Generations when Sonic doesn't recognize the locations he visited as Classic Sonic. It's always "that place seemed awful familiar!" and "Deja vu, it's like I've been here before, but I can't put my finger on it." It bugged me, because it felt like Sonic Team were kind of holding it in fans faces saying "see? the Classics weren't that special, Sonic barely remembers them!" When Sonic Generations was just announced, one of the things I was looking forward to the most was seeing Sonic geek out over seeing all these places again, but instead he brushed them off like it was no big deal.
    In a way, that reaction kinda broke my heart. It's like when you remember a really good time with your friend, and it's your defining memory of your friendship, but when you bring it up, they act non-chalant about it and are all like "Oh yea, I guess that happened." :(

2. Dark Sonic

Dark Sonic

Working on my art!
    Well, to be fair, given that Sonic has an incredibly fucked up timeline we can assume that he was last there 20 years ago our time (Which may very well be different in his timeline given that he's only 16 and we have no idea Classic Sonic's age in that game). Also he's been to lots of places in 20 years. He might have some foggy memories or he might think of it as it was somewhere else. Also some characters remember better then others, for example Knuckles remembers Sky Sanctuary because it's from his island... and somehow Blaze remembers Crisis City. Also, Tails doesn't remember Green Hill but he remembers Chemical Plant (Also these places might not be associated by name in Sonic's world, so how would they remember "Oh yea it's chemical plant zone." It might just be "Oh hey it's that factory place with the water.")

Little details that bug me though? Sonic 4's Metal Sonic. It's unknown exactly how much time has passed between Sonic 3 and Sonic 4, so it's not entirely out of the question that Sonic, Tails, and Eggman have all grown up and thus look like their modern selves. But Metal Sonic has been scrapped on a planet for however many years, and he's a robot... Robot's don't age. Now, if Metal Sonic flew back in classic form and was then upgraded to his modern self, that'd make sense. But unless Sonic CD took place in the modern era, which it didn't, there is no good reason why Metal Sonic should look modern at the start of episode Metal.

3. The KKM

The KKM

Welcome to the nExt level Member
    Portugal
    IDW's Sonic the Hedgehog comic books
    *twitch*

that'sbecausethechangefromclassictomodernisjustanalterationinartstyleandnotthecharactersgrowingup GODDAMN IT HOW MANY TIMES WILL WE HAVE TO DISCUSS IT HERE ON RETRO

It's just a change in art style. Classic Sonic doesn't become taller with green eyes. It's comparable to Mickey's white-face or the design of Zero in Mega Man Zero. The reason both designs appeared in Generations was for a joke and fanservice. The Reason Metal looks different in Sonic 4 is because the art style is different THAT'S ALL THERE IS TO IT

EDIT: YEAH, that's the little detail that bugs me. It's more on the fandom than on the games, sure, but people who can't take medium awareness at all and try to get some internal logic to changes in art style.

4. DTX

DTX

A fellow w/a name fit for nary a man save himself Member
    Not being able to beat Dr. Robotnik in HPZ in S[3]&K, no matter how many times you hit him, before he electrocutes Knuckles and flies off with the Master Emerald. I always wanted to prevent that to see if I could find some sort of secret ending or extra boss, or have Knuckles follow me about for the rest of the game, with him not being exhausted from being shocked since I would have prevented that.

In the same game, never being given a chance to confront Sonic in a cutscene or battle while playing as Knuckles.

Also, at the beginning of AIZ, while playing as Sonic, not being able to avoid getting all the chaos emeralds knocked out of me by Knuckles, even though I'm super fast and (supposedly) invulnerable.

5. Rosie

Rosie

aka Rosie Member
    What ticks me off is that they never use art any more for promotional materials, be it box art, magazine adverts, whatever. It's all this cheap looking CG stuff. This is a complaint that applies in general, not just to Sonic games.

6. Dark Sonic

Dark Sonic

Working on my art!
    ^That I agree with entirely. I miss the days of Sonic 3 Japan boxart.

Calm down now sir, I understand art styles and what not (I never said WTFWhyisn'tclassicsonicandtailsinepisode2butnotinepisode1orblahblahgreeneyes). It was just that one, minor little tidbit. Plus, it would have been cool to see Metal Sonic being upgraded to his modern style anyway. It would have shown some difference and made him appear to be more upgraded, rather then just "sup, I'm glowing now"

7. Ell678

Ell678

Am I Annoying You? Member
    Barrow, England
    Sonic Incursion
    You can. You just have to hit him 255 times and you get your stalemate :v:

Fun starts at 4:40 onwards. [youtube] http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=CyqcmNxn2OA [/youtube]

8. Metalsonicmk72

Metalsonicmk72

It's always bothered me when the franchise introduced characters that think Sonic doesn't deserve to be called the "fastest thing alive." Their reason? Because they can use a vehicle. I'm referring to Jet the Hawk and his air board and Johnny (Sonic Rush Adventure) and his Water Bike. Okay, so you can use your vehicle to be fast, but how fast are you on foot? We've never seen Jet on foot in a non-Riders game, so chances are he's probably not all that fast. Johnny (or "Metal Jet" as I call him) is a robot like Metal Sonic so maybe he might have an excuse as seen in his boss battle alongside Captain Whiskers, but still, thinking your faster than Sonic because you might be a better user of a jet-ski on water? Better make sure he never meets Sonic in Unleashed or Generations with the Endless Boost. :v:

9. JaredAFX

JaredAFX

You telling me a shrimp fried this rice? Member
    Florida
    Downloading megahertz
    The moon. Considering SA2 had such a big, ambitious story, it's just strange not to see this huge plot point in later games. Where it upsets me the most, however, is in Shadow: the game is practically a sequel to SA2's story. Does anyone not agree? It explains how Shadow was created and why Gerald Robotnik REALLY created ARK.

10. LordOfSquad

LordOfSquad

bobs over baghdad Member
    Winnipeg, MB
    making cool music no one gives a shit about
    What's bugged me is characters with monoeye. One big eye with two pupils. This has always bugged me no matter where it's used, Sonic or otherwise.

11. Endgame

Endgame

Formerly The Growler Member
    Lol, continuing on with this is the obvious fact that those characters are ignoring is the "alive" bit. Sure, "alive" possibly meaning "can you go faster than me [as a living creature] on this machine", but of course - as you said - that's just nonsense.

Then of course there's Shadow. I remember a time we argued to death about whether Shadow is faster than Sonic because of his shoes or not, and all that lot.
    Ah, the classic Shadow vs. Sonic arguments we had.

I know it's just a game and everything, and 'time' in a game world means absolutely zilch, but I've often wondered what Sonic's been doing while Eggman countless times has managed to build up such massive forces to use against him - like from the beginning with the Death Egg, all the way up to Unleashed with that huge army that seemingly had suddenly appeared from no-where (of course one could argue he built it all using robots in space, but that begs the question of how Sonic got up there in the first place when Eggman's army was already built and functional)!

I mean, does Sonic allow him to build these things so he can just trash them all again?

12. Dark Sonic

Dark Sonic

Working on my art!
    Well, at least from how the comics interpreted it, Sonic gets very bored when he has nothing do do (This was shown wayyy back when when SatAM Robotnik was killed off). So probably yes. He could very easily have Eggman hauled off to jail or killed each time, but for some reason he just lets him go. Same goes for like every character where the enemy never dies though.

Where the hell does Eggman get all the resources to make these devices anyways? Ya I know that he uses Chaos Emeralds to power them, but by now I feel like he's used up all the metal over the entire planet about 7 times over.

13. GT Koopa

GT Koopa

Elgin, IL
    Flicky Turncoat DX, T.L.W.S. Vs M.G.W.
    My headcanon is that it is two giant eyes touching each other, with a small enough to be invisible gap between the two. But there is one theory out there to the design that is gaining steam.

[​IMG]
    Oh man! Those stupid people at DiC! Don't they know that the entire white part is his eyes? Well...

[​IMG]
    Looks like they were on to something. The white part is really white fur, and he has small beady eyes.

Of course in the original games and modern games the white parts are indeed part of his giant alien eyes. But still, something to think about, eh?

14. Ell678

Ell678

Am I Annoying You? Member
    Barrow, England
    Sonic Incursion
    That just blew my mind. I had literally never thought of AOSTH's Sonic like that.

15. Mercury

Mercury

His Name Is Sonic Tech Member
    Location Location
    AeStHete
    The OVA does this, too.

16. What's Sonic's blood type??

17. Samurai Echidna

Samurai Echidna

I don't always like it when characters are retooled for no reason at all. Blaze from another dimension, then she's a time traveler, then she's there for no reason other than it being Sonic Generations... Make up your mind! Stick to a character type and spell it out better.

Shadow's self-titled game also kind of annoyed me. What's the point of having all these multiple endings if the final story is set in stone? They don't even try to make reference to the last ending you achieved before playing the final story. I think that'd be cool too, a final story that changes slightly each and every time depending on which story ending you finished before hand. Would make for a great replay factor!

And tops on my list are humans. Come on, Sonic Team. Have some sense of continuity! I can overlook a lot of plot holes and other things, and even explain the confusing stuff with fan theories, but why did you change the look of the humans for Sonic Unleashed? Why?! What was wrong with having super realistic looking humans? A change like this was just so glaring, you'd need sunglasses! Did you just decide after Sonic '06 that it's either make them ALL look one way or the other, no happy middle ground like you had before? Either everyone looks super realistic, or everyone looks just as cartoonish as Sonic and Eggman? No happy middle what so ever? There was nothing wrong with the old formal, and as people said when I was growing up, if it ain't broke then don't fix it. And it's not like going extremely one way or the other is an improvement on a formula that all ready worked. I doubt there was ANY fan who saw the humans from Sonic Adventure 1-Sonic '06 and said "Gee, this game is great! But you know what would make this all complete? If the humans looked like cliche cartoons with over exaggerated proportions and everything!"

18. LordOfSquad

LordOfSquad

bobs over baghdad Member
    Winnipeg, MB
    making cool music no one gives a shit about
    Only problem with that is the endings where Shadow kills Eggman.

19. The mono-eye was actually taken from classic Mickey Mouse, which later became a hair-line when they re-designed him for Fantasia.
    [​IMG]
    You can see here that there's a line drawn to indicate where eyes end and the "forehead"/hairline begins.