don't click here

Archie Sonic Comic Megathread

Discussion in 'General Sonic Discussion' started by Dark Sonic, Jan 27, 2011.

1. E-122-Psi

E-122-Psi

Ian does at least compensate a little by granting back some of that whimsy the characters originally had. My problem with Bollers and Penders was that completely diluted the setup into a very dark and humorless setup, with all the cast given rather serious and 'realistic' personalities. Characters like Sonic just don't work without those cartoon elements so Ian's stories are at least granted some 'character' in that sense (though granted the better more expressive art also helps).

Granted a lot of characters are still bland shells, for all he uses Sally, he fails to give her any real quirks or distinctive traits to make her interesting (Satam Sally was a spotlight hog but at least she was entertaining about it).

That CGI esque cover looks lush, but is ruined by yet another crappy attempt at SEGA-fying Sally.

2. Dark Sonic

Dark Sonic

Working on my art!
    I find the Sega-fied Sally to be a good thing. And hell, Sally has no personality, well now she's a robot. That solves that problem (I always hated Sally)

Oh and who was the one who ended the end game series with this wonderful line?

"Sonic: Dragons never lie."
    "Knuckles: Fuck your right, Dragons never lie."
    "Everyone else: Must be true, your off the hook"

3. E-122-Psi

E-122-Psi

SEGA-fying her could be fine if they did a good transition. Nearly all attempts by Archie either look like Tails in a wig (eg. Yardley, Bates) a creepy half humanoid genetic freak (eg. Spaz) or both (eg. Spaz's Archives design). The end result is neither looks like the original Sal OR a SEGA-esque character, just a weird fan character-like mess. I've seen fans who do much better attempts (eg. Tazi-San).

'So Dragon That Never Lies, did you see who killed Sally that day....You did?...Well could you point them out in the crowd......Don't point at me, ya Jackass!'

But, yeah it did seem like an asspull, Endgame just seemed like pretentious crap to me, in fact half the comics' stories feel that way.

4. JaxTH

JaxTH

Pudding Deity Oldbie
    Los Angeles
    Jack shit.
    I would assume so since there was a previous reference in Sonic #52.

5. AnimatedAF

AnimatedAF

Why has tails got such big eyebrows on the kids cover?

Love the Universe cover.

6. JaxTH

JaxTH

Pudding Deity Oldbie
    Los Angeles
    Jack shit.
    [​IMG]

7. Lanzer

Lanzer

The saber calls for its master... Member
    Glendale, AZ
    Living life.
    God that art is fugly...

Other then raving over the SU#38 cover, I like the best of cover too. thats not CGI but it sure hell looks allot like the CGI style SEGA uses, Good show on the cover artist.

So its Generic Metal Sonic #2,172,912 and Mecha Sally vs. Omega in the next arc? nice...but why is mecha sal' a blue color?

8. PordyPates

PordyPates

I recently bought the first issue of the 'Sonic Archives' book and issue 200 and something of the series. Thought it would be a good start for me collecting comic books considering I really enjoyed the Sonic comics when I was a kid. After reading them I was happy that nothing had changed. I have a question, how much of the series do the Sonic Archives books actually cover so far? After collecting them all will I have to start collecting the individual books?

9. Tylinos

Tylinos

Exaggerated fur on the sides of her face but not nearly as much as with Tails = Tails in a wig? Ehh, if you say so. I really can't see it at all, except maybe on the #222 cover, but she always looked terrible on that cover anyway.

The original Sonic Mini-Series (Sonic Archives #0 / The Beginning)

#1 - #62 of the main series (Sonic Archives #1 - #16), with Sonic Archives #17 (#63 - #66) coming in February and Sonic Archives #18 in July (#67 - #70)

The Knuckles Mini-Series and Knuckles' Main Series #1 - #3 (All in Knuckles Archives #1), with Knuckles Archives #2 (Knuckles #4 - #9) coming in April

The other mini-series (Sally, Tails, Death Egg) aren't collected yet, but they've said they'll be collected in Archives eventually.

Sonic Universe #1 - #4 in Sonic Universe graphic novel #1, with #5 - #8 (SUGN #2) coming in March and #9 - #12 (SUGN #3) in August. But the Sonic Universe sets can all still be back-ordered anyway in their four-issue sets.

The Specials and Super Specials are a bit hard to pin down because their archives, Sonic Select, print them in a kind of random order. #1 - #4 are out, and like mentioned above, #5 will be out in May. I think they have everything from the original 8 specials except for the horrible Sonic Live story, and about half of the stuff from the Super Specials. The main stories missing I can think of are Super Special #7 (Which was the pointless Image crossover that probably won't ever be reprinted), #10's first story (The Sabrina crossover which also probably won't be reprinted), #11 (The "Girls Rule" issue. Will probably be in Select #6), #13 (Sonic Adventure. Is hinted to be included in the main Sonic Archives when they get to the Adventure arc.), the second story from #14 (Will probably be in Select #6), and all of #15 (The first story was recently remade in the Free Comic Book Day 2011 issue and won't be reprinted. The second story will either be ignored or put in Select #6.
    Basically, everything that matters from the Specials is released except for a few things that will be in Selects #5 and #6. The only other things don't need reprinting.

I hope that helps.

10. Lanzer

Lanzer

The saber calls for its master... Member
    Glendale, AZ
    Living life.
    Here you go:
    http://archiesonic.wikia.com/wiki/Sonic_Archives

That entry should answer your question.

11. E-122-Psi

E-122-Psi

It's more than just a couple of puffs of fur. Her whole facial designs looks like a recolor of him. The head is narrower, the eyes are narrow and more oblong-ish and her snout is squashed in. Sorry if it sounds petty but I think the facial design is usually the most iconic part of a character.

They spend more time deforming the part of her design that needs the least retooling than redoing her body proportions. Similar to this one, deformed face that looks almost nothing like the original but they didn't think it was necessary to alter her humanoid body for some reason, so either way it's not loyal to Sally OR the games proportioning. What we get is something that looks like random fan character pasted onto an otherwise professional looking cover.

12. Tylinos

Tylinos

[​IMG]
    A good place to compare is in the upper left, where both of them have pretty similar expressions and head angling. I'm sorry, I just really can't see it. I'm not saying you're wrong, but I just can't see more than vauge similarities between them.

Regarding differences between her original and current designs, though...
    [​IMG]
    ...I can agree that there definitely are some. Some for the better, some for the worse. Honestly, I hated how she used to have big-head syndrome, but the snout change, while small, looks silly.

I wouldn't say facial design is necessarily the most iconic part of the character. Tails' tails, for instance, or Bunnie being a cyborg. But fortunately, changing faces is the worst they could do, right? Not like they could mess with something else iconic like that.

OH WAIT THEY DEROBOTICIZED BUNNIE

13. PordyPates

PordyPates

Thank you for the help, much appreciated! :v:

14. E-122-Psi

E-122-Psi

Bunnie isn't a great redesign at all either (though I'd complain more about her humanoid cyborg redesign than her being (almost certainly temporarily) derobotocized).

I just don't like how nearly every character in the series seems go by these same builds over and over, for facial design there's at least two variations, 'angry cyclops' eyes and the giant doe eyes. Not even snouts or head shape are that differenciated anymore (eg. Knuckles' design, though that's hardly Archie's fault). I find a facial design iconic because that is where a lot of the character's emotions and acting comes from, if they all have the same expressions and bases, they won't look unique, just a bunch of clones talking to each other. It's bad enough most of the games cast are like, they don't need to skew established alt media characters to it as well.

Sally just looks like a generic SEGA mould now (ie. a SEGA mould is okay, but it's generic) and I barely connect her to the original enterpretation, neither in design or personality granted. I get the limb changes (they were probably an improvement over her humanoid build before anyway) but the face hardly needed any alterations. Maybe the more oval pupils (not eyes) and side positioned mouth.

15. Tylinos

Tylinos

Personally, I prefer the cyborg limbs over the originals, but that's just me. Aside from that, what was changed? Unless you mean the silly cowboy hat she sometimes wears, the only other things I can think of are her getting taller in the really early days of the comic, and getting longer hair.

This I can agree on, though. For eyes, I mean.

16. E-122-Psi

E-122-Psi

The longer hair doesn't really look right, reminds me how they grew Sally's hair, it has a conflicting realistic look. Meanwhile her cyborg limbs were basically a way of permanently giving her a Playboy physique (at least Sally was depending on the artist, Bunnie HAS to be drawn that way for consistancy), giving her larger hands and feet fixed it a little but still she looks rather off.

Not to mention similar to Sally she's had her facial design altered to look more like a generic SEGA addition (eg. narrow Tails/Cream type eyes in place of her feminine almond ones).

Granted a lot of these problems occured before they tried to make her more SEGA uniform and a lot of her Cream resemblences spookingly enough were in the comics from the start (eg. her color scheme which was always different from her SatAm counterpart). Still it counts as a character being altered beyond recognition, just not to befit an established style (unless you count the humanoid super realistic style Spaz and Axer were going for beforehand).

The ironic thing is her original SatAm design was more simple and would probably would have fit into the games setup without too much of a difference.

17. Tylinos

Tylinos

To be fair regarding Bunnie's eyes, in the comics they've always been closer to the tall Tails-like shape than the original SatAM shape, and the rest of her face was redesigned really early on, around Issue 20, or at least what they didn't already have changed from the start. If anyone can be blamed for resdesigning her face, it's the really early comic artists. In the comics, at least, she's looked almost always like this, apart from the limbs. It's just from SatAM to the comics where there was a huge change. Even pre-Adventure Sonic had a larger design change between the start of the comics and Issue 70. (Just before his Adventure redesign)

18. Herm the Germ

Herm the Germ

Hmm, not bad. Well done, doctor! Member
    Dresden, Saxony, Germany
    MIDI-to-SMPS-conversions, mostly. Takin' requests, too.
    To someone who's not as keen an observer of character designs (I.e. me :specialed:) , game-ified Sally looks pretty much the same she always does :psyduck:

19. E-122-Psi

E-122-Psi

I'm an art/animation nut, plus borderline OCD, so it's hard for such situations to go past me.

I admit I'm really overobsessed with such things at times though I still think they could have done a better job though, hell some fans do a much better job.

http://tazi-san.deviantart.com/gallery/6371103#/d17lgk1

http://tazi-san.deviantart.com/gallery/6371103#/d17lfz3

20. NioZero

NioZero

ConcepciĆ³n, Chile
    Tornado Sky Fighters
    why sonic have green eyes?... (as kid)

sonic as kid is supposed to have black eyes... I understand that the green eyes comes from an experiment with morgan in Sth#71.
    [​IMG]

Also in the first issue where sonic was kid he had the black eyes...
    [​IMG]

I found this a little contradictory in my opinion...