don't click here

Sonic Fan Remix

Discussion in 'Fangaming Discussion' started by pelikan13, Mar 13, 2010.

1. Deef

Deef

I would like to ask how closely this aims to resemble classic physics?

I ask because in the Youtube vid, at 0:56 a rolling fall rebound would always return to full height if it used classic physics, regardless of jump button being held or not.

2. MarkeyJester

MarkeyJester

Original, No substitute Resident Jester
    Japan
    I think with Mercury working on it, it's bound to turn out very close considering the research he's done on Sonic's physics.

3. Polygon Jim

Polygon Jim

Eternal Tech Member
    across town from Hinchy
    All the bitches.
    I can say they are very accurate. There's a few problems here and there but overall they are very nice.

4. Solaris Paradox

Solaris Paradox

On my butt in front of the computer. Where else?
    I'm working on working up the willpower to work on learning how to make my own Sonic fangames. Not quite there yet.
    Not that a small change like that would necessarily harm anything, mind...

I'm really looking forward to playing this. I just hope my shitty budget PC can even run it. Doubtful, since Dragon Age: Origins is outside its capabilities even at minimum settings, but...

5. Deef

Deef

Well I saw your bouncing challenge. That would be impossible for one...

6. Eric Wright

Eric Wright

Born into this. Oldbie
    recognized the same thing.... starting to wonder if I'm autistic, or if I've just really been playing these games for Way. Too. Long.

7. Deef

Deef

Is it a week yet?

:S

Is there an exact release date/time for this demo? I'm a little hyped.

8. Clutch

Clutch

It was a dark and stormy night... Member
    Wow, those standin' in the rain look really cool. I can really appreciate all the effort going into this, you guys really have something to be proud of here.

9. So, what's the largest resolution this can run at? :)

10. Elratauru

Elratauru

Little Shiny Emurralds Member
    The max you can get I believe. There shouldnt be any resolution limit, but remember that the textures are not vectorial and they will start looking a little blurry, but that happens in any 3D game that exists.

11. Mercury

Mercury

His Name Is Sonic Tech Member
    Location Location
    AeStHete
    About the whole "rolling off a cliff onto a badnik rebound height" thing:

I didn't really like the way classic Sonic physics handled this. If holding the jump button is what makes Sonic rebound, then that should happen in all cases. I don't like the fact that in some cases the player has no ability to cut the rebound short by releasing the button. There's no homing attack or anything, so you can just hold the button down as you hit the enemy to rebound.

In other words, the change was intentional.

A second intentional change is that Sonic can control the trajectory of his jumps even if he jumps while rolling. Sonic CD is the only one of the classics to do this, and I find it vastly superior. In fact, I can't imagine why the other way was ever used - what's the logic behind it?

Some of the physics inconsistencies aren't intentional, though. Unity can be a pain sometimes, and I wasn't able to make everything as accurate as I'd have liked. (For instance, the camera isn't accurate to the classics yet.)

12. TheKazeblade

TheKazeblade

"Our Life is More than a Side-Effect" Member
    I definitely had no problem with these changes. I loved how fluidly I could jump and seeing how I didn't even know about the rebound trick until more recently, I had no problem with that being changed as well.

I PM'd Pelikan13, but would you like us to PM you our findings as well? Not sure if they are of any consequence, but I just wanted to be sure :)

13. DigitalDuck

DigitalDuck

Arriving four years late. Member
    Lincs, UK
    TurBoa, S1RL
    It's designed to limit the power of rolling, otherwise there's no reason to actually run anywhere. Sonic CD removed it because the Peelout was a reason to run (except they kinda messed that up with the ability to roll immediately afterwards).

Basically, it's there so you're not just a spinny ball of destruction.

14. nineko

nineko

I am the Holy Cat Tech Member
    italy
    I think so, because I can get 1600x1200 on my main computer and 1920x1080 on my laptop.
    Then again I am not sure, because according to the control panel, my main computer's video card seems to support 1920x1080, 1920x1200, 1920x1440, and 2048x1536, even though they're not listed in SFR's configuration.

I am sending everything to Pelikan only, and he said he forwarded the relevant things to Mercury.

15. Deef

Deef

Well it's great to hear that the physics changes were not just points overlooked, and I completely agree with the rebounding change. But controllable rolling jumps.... well what Digital Duck said. Having that control disabled deliberately was a big deal to me. I know that technically the player simply has more control with this change but I really liked how it was a battle of speed and control. You have the spin dash for free speed anywhere; the uncontrollable jump was kind of like tearing down a hill, needing to jump, and going "FFFFFFFFFFUUUUUUUUUUUUU..........".

Hmm, I guess there's no way to convince the creator to go against what he prefers. It makes Sonic CD feel... hmm.. "soft" to me. It really is a difference, just being able to roll up at any time knowing that there's no penalty for jumping out of it. A little bummed, oh well.

16. dsrb

dsrb

I had no real opinion, but when you put it like that, I begin to agree.

17. Ell678

Ell678

Am I Annoying You? Member
    Barrow, England
    Sonic Incursion
    If you had a monitor that supported those higher resolutions they would appear for selection, like any other game. If I remember correctly, 2048x1536 is roughly a 30 inch monitor, and basically all graphics cards bought in the last 5 years can produce that kind of resolution.

18. nineko

nineko

I am the Holy Cat Tech Member
    italy
    Except that my monitor can easily support 2048x1536:
    [​IMG] [​IMG]
    So I wonder why those resolutions don't show up in SFR's configuration.
    Not a big deal, since I would never use such a resolution anyway...

19. Pheisar

Pheisar

Hi all,

I like very much your work specially the sonic's animation, but I see one think that I hope can do better the game, I'm talking about the color correction.
    For years I worked on this area and I think that Sonic Fan Remix have forced colors, maybe is you monitor (and you see the correct colors but the rest no) or maybe not (and you see the color like the rest of the world ^^), anyway I put here a correction that I made to see if this can it help to you.

Sorry for my poor english but I just wanted to help.

See you!

[​IMG]
    Original Colors

[​IMG]
    Color Correction

[​IMG]
    Selective Color Correction

20. dsrb

dsrb

Whether through that method or not, I support any requests for the game to made less blue. As others have said, I feel that it looked better (in some ways) in some of the older shots, where colours were more vibrant.