don't click here

Sonic 4: Episode 1 Discussion

Discussion in 'General Sonic Discussion' started by Cinossu, Oct 11, 2010.

1. MykonosFan

MykonosFan

MODE CHANGE. Moderator

Have fun with Untouchable and the Avatar Award for the Sonic Hat, and remember to tape your fingers together so you don't rip your hair out. :v:

2. Dark Sonic

Dark Sonic

Working on my art!
    It gets better the more you play it for sure. Once you understand how the game plays then the fun begins. Initially it felt kinda off but it makes more sense now that I've beat the game about 4 or 5 times.

I wish the game wasn't so short though D:

3. MykonosFan

MykonosFan

MODE CHANGE. Moderator
    Which is why I hope future episodes lock on. Now that I've got a hang of things, it'd be nice for there to be more substance to play through.

4. Solaris Paradox

Solaris Paradox

On my butt in front of the computer. Where else?
    I'm working on working up the willpower to work on learning how to make my own Sonic fangames. Not quite there yet.
    I'd still rather forgo lock-on entirely if it means having the classic physics back.

5. Clutch

Clutch

It was a dark and stormy night... Member
    Well, they could do as they did before: Lock-On with everything but the first game.

6. Solaris Paradox

Solaris Paradox

I'm working on working up the willpower to work on learning how to make my own Sonic fangames. Not quite there yet.
    ...Eh?

You mean Sonic 2? But they actually did have lock-on with that, just not, y'know, game-merging lock-on. Because technically that wasn't part of the game.

Or do you mean Sonic 1?

7. Willie

Willie

Each day the world turns Laugh 'til it all burns Member
    [​IMG]

There's horizontal ones in the game too but none that open doors. I just beat Sonic Advance 1 for the first time in about 6-7 years and damn, that game is a lot better than I remember. Extremely fun game with good physics. The enemy and spike placement is ass at times though. I cannot figure out why Dimps sucks at physics now. ._. Also, I didn't play the game with the screen stretched. My monitor has a 4:3 mode.

8. Clutch

Clutch

It was a dark and stormy night... Member
    Yeah.

9. Ravi Singh

Ravi Singh

Los Angeles, CA
    The Snake Soup
    Oh okay. I also guess Splash Hill Zone is totally brand-new too since you can sort of interact with the flowers in the background and moonwalk up 90° angles. Totally not Green Hill or Emerald Hill.

10. Solaris Paradox

Solaris Paradox

I can't really say that's much of a precedent, since it wasn't even part of the same story arc.

And technically it does lock-on. All it does is unlock Blue Sphere. :v:

That's just being sarcastic for the sake of pessimism. By that logic, Sonic is a straight-up Mario clone. That the entire function has changed is fucking irrelevant, they're exactly the fucking same.

EDIT: The Special Stages, I mean. They are MUCH different than Sonic 1's (not necessarily in a good way on all points).

11. Polygon Jim

Polygon Jim

Eternal Tech Member
    across town from Hinchy
    All the bitches.
    Just something about Episode 2. I find it very, very, very unlikely it will have any form of lockon, if I'm remembering something correctly. From what I remember the Wii is incapable of letting you use the system files of a game other than the one you are currently running. Games like S3&k on the Wii are actually a rom of S2&K, S3&K and S&K all in 1 file. With Sonic 4 this isn't possible as the game already just fits under the 50mb limit. So Unless I'm either remembering wrong, or Sega is jsut going to tell Wii users to fuck themselves and just do it on 360/PS3 I don't think we'll see any form of lockon with Ep 1.

Like I said I could be remembering wrong so if someone who knows more about the inner working of the Wii than me can correct me, then feel free.

12. Shadic

Shadic

Olympia, WA
    Home improvement eternal
    Wii games can both read memory cards from the GCN, as well as access stuff like Miis. I have no idea if it's through the same process though.

13. Naean

Naean

Naean H.F. (Nez Man) Member
    United Kingdom
    2D. Sonic Fan Game
    Isn't there some sort of memory card or other memory slot the Wii has that could be used? I keep seeing it in Wii videos on YouTube, but I'm not sure exactly what it's called.

14. Polygon Jim

Polygon Jim

Eternal Tech Member
    across town from Hinchy
    All the bitches.

I believe it's different in terms of reading larger game data files from other games than the Mii's.

15. Ravi Singh

Ravi Singh

Los Angeles, CA
    The Snake Soup
    Right. Here's the thing though: I don't use that logic. I think that the new special stages are pretty much the ones from Sonic the Hedgehog with a twist and Sonic 2 Special Stage-style ring-barriers. Would you say that the slot machine bonus stage in Sonic & Knuckles is somehow not pretty much Sonic the Hedgehog's special stage with a twist and a Sonic 2 slot machine in the center?

It's not a manner of pessimism. It's a matter of realism. I'd actually argue that most people who wanted or expected a better Sonic 4 are optimists because they feel that SEGA is more than capable of actually pulling of something amazing rather than something that's just "better than 2006" as a lot of Sonic 4 fans are seemingly proud to point out.

16. Afti

Afti

ORIGINAL MACHINE Member
    I've not heard anything that specifically forbids access to another game's data; S3&K is the way it is out of laziness, much like why each and every VC game channel is its own copy of the emulator.

It's not common due to space limitations, but I don't think it's IMPOSSIBLE for one title to load content elsewhere in NAND. Look at things like the Rock Band/FF DLC.

That, and homebrew running under vanilla IOS (so, the same limitations as Sonic 4) can browse and load data from anywhere in NAND.

Of course, if it's forbidden under Nintendo QC...

17. Vrantheo

Vrantheo

"Find Next Beat" Member
    Cameltry. Never forget.

18. Ravi Singh

Ravi Singh

Los Angeles, CA
    The Snake Soup
    Quite. In fact, Sonic 4's special stages are even closer to being Cameltry than Sonic the Hedgehog's were.

19. Solaris Paradox

Solaris Paradox

Either way, if Episode I's space-management is as terrible as Jim says it is, then I doubt lock-on will be coming to the Wii even if they intended it to.

Saying the Special Stages are just "Sonic 1's with a twist" as if that fact alone is a negative point is a matter of pessimism. That's not a negative point at all.

Now if you want to talk actual negatives, how 'bout them fucking bumpers?

20. Polygon Jim

Polygon Jim

Eternal Tech Member
    across town from Hinchy
    All the bitches.

This is what I believe it was. It wasn't a real console limitation, but something Nintendo enforces. Like I said I'm not %100 about it I just remember hearing something about it.