don't click here

Roger Craig Smith and Kate Higgins are the new Sonic and Tails VAs

Discussion in 'General Sonic Discussion' started by Azookara, Jul 11, 2010.

Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.
  1. I don't think that will be an issue this time, considering Kim Pontac and Warren Graff from Madworld are writing the script.

When I first read this post I thought you were referring to the Tropical Resort demo. :v:

2. ShenziSixaxis

ShenziSixaxis

That's one thing that came to my mind that I never brought up. I saw 4Kids Production or something in the credits of Sonic Unleashed and kinda went, "Uh.... kay?"

3. I'm still going to be expecting new voice actors in 5 or 6 years. It's just what they do.

4. Chimpo

Chimpo

I Gotta Be Me Member
    Los Angeles, 2029
    Don't Forget! Try Your Best!
    I'm pretty sure the reason for the change in the first place was because of Sonic X being localized by 4kids. It was probably a better decision to keep everything unified at the time. Now that the show is over, SEGA has no real reason to keep them around. They'll probably keep a majority of the new actors for a while unless some stupid shit pops up again.

5. Blue Blood

Blue Blood

That's the reason they always gave, and I don't think you need to look any further than that. Pollock has quashed the rumour that the 4Kids switch happened because Bristow died.

6. Solaris Paradox

Solaris Paradox

On my butt in front of the computer. Where else?
    I'm working on working up the willpower to work on learning how to make my own Sonic fangames. Not quite there yet.
    He won't be, and hers won't be, either. These theme-park things have a strong tendency to be terrible due to a combination of cheesiness and lazy directing. He might not be especially good, but he won't be as bad as when he was spouting those cheesy lines.

I wouldn't be surprised if that stuff was all one-take material, the work of approximately five minutes with a microphone and script printed on the sort of paper you see in an Ashens review.

7. Tiranno

Tiranno

Steveosaurus Rex Member

Yes, I am a tool.

8. Doppelgengar

Doppelgengar

I chuckled.

9. Orengefox

Orengefox

Snooping as usual... Researcher
    Right in front of my computer.
    Some artwork, a ZZT game, and a hack.
    Sigh! I'm sure going to miss Knuckles' old psychopath voice...

Judging from the audio clips of Sonic's new voice, Roger Craig Smith seems to do the job right. It's bit high pitch compared to how Jason Griffith had done it but not detrimental. After hearing all the audio samples of Kate Higgins', I'm convinced she'll make a better voice actor for Tails.

10. Lobotomy

Lobotomy

35% Cognac Banned
    Traverse City
    Project: Matter/Energy
    Yeah, I liked Knuckles' 4kids VA a ton. That one was perfect.

11. Machenstein

Machenstein

If Mike Pollock can stay, I don't see why Dan Green can't.

12. Volpino

Volpino

Things are looking up! Member
    A secret. >:3
    I hated that Amy girl's voice, she made Tails sound like a little gay boy with that high-pitch girl's voice. (And no, I really don't think she improved in Unleashed, it still didn't sound like a little boy.) I doubt this new one will be anything to talk about though, but fat chance SEGA will use a little boy again since it isn't long-term enough.

I don't like any Sonic voice other than his SatAM/SU voice, it's the only one that sounds like Sonic to me. The others don't have that gruff pull of a teenager with attitude and his Sonic X voice just makes him sound like a hippie. Although his SA1 voice was pretty good. Not so much on his SA2 voice. (I think they're done by the same person, I can't be bothered to look though and I don't care enough since it doesn't effect my opinion of it.) I don't know the voice actor doing his voice now so I'll reserve judgment for after I hear it. But I doubt it could be worse than Jason's.

13. Overlord

Overlord

Now playable in Smash Bros Ultimate Moderator
    Long-term happiness
    To be honest, Pollock was a better VA than Dan Green - Green's main problem is that he only really has ONE voice. Pollock has a wider vocal range.

14. Flare

Flare

Range has nothing to do with, I know voice actors need to have range to play a variety of characters, but as an actor, range doesn't define talent. An actor can play several characters with just one voice. Tom Hanks plays Woody YET he still sounds like Tom Hanks.

Dan Green is a good actor, regardless of his range.

15. Ross-Irving

Ross-Irving

I don't think OL just means range as in changing your voice to sound like a completely different character, but your octave range as well. Speaking within the same octave or two shouldn't cut it, you can't really emote enough with a range that limited.

16. GeneHF

GeneHF

SEGA-ier than you'll potentially ever be. Site Staff
    Scenic Studiopolis
    Complete Global Conquest
    They could always make Knuckles Jamaican, like originally planned. :v:

Still, while Dan Green doesn't usually change his voice much, he does a fine job of at least having a good guy tone and a bad guy tone. I like his work better when he uses his villain tone, as shown in Mephiles.

17. Flare

Flare

He does emote, and he can change his pitch - I mean Knuckles does have a higher pitch than for example Prof. Pickles. He also has a very character voice, it stands out and thats what you need from an actor - I do hope he stays on, maybe not as Knuckles, because his character has became too goofy, but his villian work is really good.

18. Ell678

Ell678

Am I Annoying You? Member
    Barrow, England
    Sonic Incursion
    I must agree. Mephiles was easily my favorite Sonic villain, and one of the most memorable Sonic characters, simply because of his voice and the writing for him. He was chilling, in his calm, cool nature, but still sounded really sinister.

It can be done - look at Bart Simpson - but it seems not many women can pull it off. My favorite Tails voice simply has to be in Sonic Adventure 2. Even over AOSTH/SatAM.

19. Blue Blood

Blue Blood

You should like this. It a clip of Smith from Alton Towers that's not been messed, apparently how he actually sounds. It comes from AAUKs radio show if you're wondering. Sounds very good, no?

EDIT: Oops, forgot this. Credit goes to Hero of Legend at SSMB for cutting the clip out.

20. synchronizer

synchronizer

That one makes him sound a lot more like...Jaleel White.

Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.