don't click here

What is Sonic Team doing?

Discussion in 'General Sonic Discussion' started by Scartillery, Apr 24, 2010.

Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.
  1. Well, I've touched upon this a few times in the S4 Megathread.

The 20th anniversary of Sonic is nigh.
    Sonic 4 is in production......under Dimps....

So...what exactly is Sonic Team doing?

I for one think that they're on for the 20th anniversary game, and Sonic 4 is being produced simply to divert attention. Whilst I don't like this idea, what better way to divert attention than to call a game Sonic 4.

Since Black Knight was finished, Sonic Team have had a year, there is yet a year to go untill 2011.

This means that theoretically this new 20th anniverary game will have 2 years development time....perhaps the longest developmet time Sonic has seen in a good long time (unless production on it began during production of Black Knight, which means even more time)

Now as I'm sure you are all aware, Sonic games of late, have been subpar due to Lack of time.
    Considering my hypothesis is correct, then this game will give Sonic Team the chance to show us what they're made of, seeing as they have more time.

If this is in fact true. I'm looking forward to a good 3D Sonic game coming Christmas 2011.
    Whether or not its a Mario Galaxy contender, as I'm hoping for it to be, remains to be seen, if seen at all.

Your thoughts on this?

2. Chimpo

Chimpo

I Gotta Be Me Member
    Los Angeles, 2029
    Don't Forget! Try Your Best!
    Fuck, that is a good question. I haven't exactly thought about what those fucks were doing.

They've had to be working on something, Sonic related or something else but considering the 20th anniversary of the hedgehog is up, something has to give.

It'll be ashame if an incomplete Sonic 4 is all we're getting

3. I predict that possibly along with the 3D Sonic for 2011...

They will put all of Sonic 4's episodes onto a disc and sell it.

OR They will have a Sonic Master Collection, which will have all the following titles:

Sonic 1
    Sonic 2
    Sonic 3
    Sonic & Knuckles (And all respective lock-ons!)
    Sonic CD
    Knuckles Chaotix
    and possibly Sonic 4

...yeah I have no clue. :/

4. Spanner

Spanner

The Tool Member
    They probably are working on the next "main" Sonic game. Sonic 4 obviously doesn't count as a main game as it's DLC-only (for the time being), episodic and being worked on by Dimps and two members of Sonic Team consisting of a poor level designer and a musician who is reduced to using horrible instruments and percussion.

I'm unsure as to how the 20th Anniversary thing will come out. Perhaps a physical Sonic 4 release disc as well? Just as long as we don't get another Sonic 06.
    As for a release date, June 23 would be cool. =P

5. Yuzu

Yuzu

SEGA keep on hinting torwards a PSO anniversary project on the PSU forums, so hopefully Sonic Team are involved with that, other than that they're probably busy working on another failure of a game for the Sonic 20th anniversary.

6. Why June 23?
    Is it your birthday?

In any case, its something we might be able to look forward to.
    This here new Sonic Team, did an awesome Job with Sonic Unleashed 360/PS3, for a first attempt at least.

7. Solaris Paradox

Solaris Paradox

On my butt in front of the computer. Where else?
    I'm working on working up the willpower to work on learning how to make my own Sonic fangames. Not quite there yet.
    Wow. Always look on the bright side of life, amirite folks? :v:

Anyway, I've kind of been expecting them to work on the next 3D Sonic game ever since, well, not long after Unleashed came out and when I found out that it was DIMPs doing Sonic 4, I just kind of assumed I was right and Sonic Team was still working on the next 3D game, hopefully taking their cues from Unleashed's good points.

8. Yuzu

Yuzu

Well if you look at the game for the last anniversary, you can see why my hopes are high. :eng101:

9. That
    Sonic Team was fired. The current one is entirely new and did Unleashed (360/PS3) a considerable step-up from..*winces*...that game.....

10. Blue Blood

Blue Blood

Nothing's been leaked, so I'm fairly sure nothing's being worked on.

Okay seriously I think they're working on the next big game. Even if Sonic 4 is big in concept, it's very teeny by all other standards. The next 3D game seems likely. Hopefully this game will get a proper and substantial announcement, rather than something like Black Knight (1 magazine scan is all we had to go on for months). E3's coming up. Maybe then?

11. Solaris Paradox

Solaris Paradox

I'm working on working up the willpower to work on learning how to make my own Sonic fangames. Not quite there yet.
    Funny guy. :rolleyes:

Here's hoping. I remember the rumors flying around not long after Unleashed about the next game being entirely Day Stages—well, a guy can dream...

12. MykonosFan

MykonosFan

MODE CHANGE. Moderator
    If Sonic 4 can happen, a sequel classic fans have been waiting for, why not a sequel to what many consider the last good set of 3-D Sonic games?

My personal bet is on Sonic Adventure 3. I have this baseless feeling about it.

That or an Unleashed sequel, but to me that seems an odder way to go about a 20th Anniversary.

13. Yes, this would definitely be the best game for the 20th anniversary. Unless the 20th Anniversary features the return of Classic Sonic and a better representation of him in a 3D world. I'd be fine with that too.

14. Well....there is E3, when's that coming up anyway, I always forget.

Sonic the Hedgehog 2006 was basically SA3, considering it had the same concept as SA1.

An official SA3 would be nice, but please don't let there be Knuckles/Rouge, Tails/Robeggnikman stages that take centuries to complete.
    Shadow and Sonic is the best way to go, because they emphasise speed and that usually turns out to be the most fun parts of the game.

15. Blue Blood

Blue Blood

Hmm. I never know what to expect with Sonic games. For example, were any of you expecting hoverboards and Werehogs? Guns and swords? Team-play? New Sonic announcements always seem to surprise the community (though we could debate endlessly about whether or not that's actually a good thing). The only bit of info that we have to go on is what Hayes said about there being four types of Sonic game. What were they? M&S, All-Stars, something else and the yet to be identified multiplayer games. It would be interesting to have a Sonic game built around that.

EDIT: Scartillery, you better be referring just to their respective gameplay styles in SA2. For all you know, the next title could have Sonic's game like an FPS and then Marine and Big with Unleashed daytime levels.

16. Solaris Paradox

Solaris Paradox

Why does this always come up in the list of "gimmicks?" It's not even something that happens in the actual platformers. Frankly, I applaud them for trying not to do the same exact thing as all the other mascot-cart-racing games.

Gee willikers, I hope they don't use a sports peripheral in the next Mario sports game. And who ever expected Mario to drive a vehicle in that one Mario racing game?

17. I think one of the types was Heroes type games, which are basically the main series.
    I mean Heroes with refined controls, physics and graphics, and no teamwork, would be a game I'd want to play.
    I quite enjoyed Sonic Heroes.

@Blue Blood.

I am. One of the major flaws in SA2 in my opinion.
    Lets hope they don't use that for this potential game...

18. Solaris Paradox

Solaris Paradox

Heroes with the Hedgehog Engine and Sonic Unleashed's gameplay and physics engine, possible refined, and hopefully with marginally less auto-pilot and without the actual annoying aspects of Heroes gameplay (repetitive design elements even within a single level, multi-hit enemies that you're forced to kill to move on, etc.) and it might actually be a really good game to play.

I have this gut feeling that's not what we're getting, though.

19. Azookara

Azookara

yup Member
    As I said before (read Zephyr's signature :v:), bringing what Sonic 4 is giving us and bringing it to 3D by meshing together with Unleashed's daytime gameplay would be nice.

Just imagine it: multitiered level design, tons of replayability, more emphasis on gimmicks and platforming. Unleashed's daytime gameplay except minus boosting and plus rolling (along with the whole pinball mechanic), momentum-centric speed gaining, and a big decreasing of QTEs, dash panels, bottomless pits and memorization. It would be heaven.

Only if Sega would ever pull this off, which they won't and would rather prefer to leave the "retro" fans with just 2D games.

20. Solaris Paradox

Solaris Paradox

I actually like the boost in Unleashed, but if they focused on a more balanced kind of game that dominated the entire experience rather than something so speed-based that it takes a human sacrifice count of over nine thousand just to pay the budget for one level, it would definitely mean something more thoroughly enjoyable than the Unleashed package as a whole.

Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.