don't click here

Character Art

Discussion in 'Sonic 2 HD (Archive)' started by Vincent, Mar 22, 2010.

Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.
  1. zemulii

zemulii

I wish people would be a little more vocal about what they're working on (kind of ironic isn't it). It's hard to tell whether it's even remotely likely we'll have most of those done by June 1st. Just about all of them have had someone working on them at some point. But for whatever reason it's been pretty quiet. Obviously people have lives, but who's to know whether someone's actually working on something or has just given up? I think if you start work on something you really should keep people up to date at least occasionally on progress, and especially if you don't intend to work on it anymore - that way someone else can start work on it without feeling they may be "taking over".

2. Volpino

Volpino

Things are looking up! Member
    A secret. >:3
    I kind of have that feeling. Everyone's working on Hilltop Zone, but all the plants/animals are taken, and I'm no good at machines and don't know how to animate lava.

I suppose if nobody's working on the eagle, I could do that...? I notice someone tried in the thread, but I don't know if anyone is still working on it or not or if that was good enough.

And also:
    http://i43.tinypic.com/2viih4m.png
    The ear's fixed, since everyone was asking. (I'm not going to keep uploading these, I only wanted to fix the ear.)

3. Canned Karma

Canned Karma

S2HD Project Manager Member
    Sonic 2 HD, various 3D work
    I'd love for people to give more updates for what they're working on, even if they haven't touched it in awhile. It definitely helps everyone out.

Just because someone has started work on the eagle, that's by no means an off-limits piece. Until it's been approved, polished, and uploaded as complete we actively encourage more submissions to present a variety of takes initially. I've already noted that the eagle presented up to this point has at least a couple critical areas of improvement that need to be addressed, and if you can take those into account right from the start then I'd love to see what you have in mind for it. If you're looking for a base of sorts, Vincent's quick mockup is an excellent place to begin.

There's also the sorely neglected Spiker that needs attention. Cerulean Nights even put up a guide to assist people wanting to contribute to the badnik assets.

4. Volpino

Volpino

Second link doesn't seem to work... But I'll see what I can do about the spiker. At least what I can do about the drill and head. All those sectioned parts of badniks succeed in confusing me every time.

If it's of no consequence, when it's time, I'd love to submit some things I've done with Tails though (not just editing a mockup, I've actually started editing the sprites, it helps me get used to this sort of art, since I'm so used to doing raster...) since I've kind of wanted to do that one for a long time but never had the means.

5. Gambit

Gambit

Sonic 2 HD Staff - Level Artist Member
    Sonic 2 HD
    Looks like he accidentally added some unneeded code into that link and that screwed it up. Here it is again.

6. Canned Karma

Canned Karma

S2HD Project Manager Member
    Sonic 2 HD, various 3D work
    Yeah, I copied a few too many characters when I made the link. Should work now.

7. Volpino

Volpino

Sorry to ask this here (I can't find a designated topic that isn't locked) but I was looking over some character frames for Tails... (Yeah, I'm still working on that. I couldn't find anything current that I could do well.) and I was wondering if Tails will be able to fly like in Sonic 3 on the final build, because I wanted to know if it's required to animate his tired poses.

I assumed he would because Knuckles will be in the game but when I started working on those sprites, I realized I didn't know if either character would have their signature moves, so I thought I would ask before doing unnecessary work.

8. Vincent

Vincent

Sonic 2HD - Project Leader & Chara Member
    Sonic 2 HD
    Yeah, He will surely be able to fly in the final build.
    However, those frames will be produced just after the main ones has been remastered.

Changing the subject, anyone got love for the Eagle animal? :)

9. Hamneggs

Hamneggs

Official Breakfast of S2HD Member
    TEXAS
    Networked lighting
    If we had access to the AI or whatever files I might give it a try.

10. Willie

Willie

Each day the world turns Laugh 'til it all burns Member
    I know I'm kinda late to respond, but that looks really excellent.

11. ICEknight

ICEknight

Researcher Researcher
    I hadn't noticed until now, but it kinda looks like the wing is coming from her chest. There should be some shadows or shapes that show where does that wing start.

12. zemulii

zemulii

I haven't really started so much on that area, but I'll bare that in mind :).

13. Volpino

Volpino

If I could make a suggestion that might save you some time...

If you simpl added a shadow that loked like it went around the base of the wing, where it connects to the body, it would make a world of difference, and if what you're using is similar to Inkscape it would take little to no time to fix.

14. Fred

Fred

Taking a break Oldbie
    Portugal
    Sonic 3 Unlocked
    Okay, this is something that's been bothering me for a long time. You can either listen or discard it like you did with all of my previous suggestions, I don't care.
    [​IMG]
    All of Sonic's sprite seems to take 231 as the highest brightness possible, except (for some ballbrained reason) the eyes, which are pure white and thusly brighter than everything else. What this results is in Sonic's skin looking too dark. There are two possible solutions: darken the eyes to make them match the rest of the sprite (here I scaled it down to 224, maximum Genesis brightness):
    [​IMG]
    Or, you can brighen up the rest of the sprite to match. This is probably the best alternative:
    [​IMG]

15. RedStripedShoes

RedStripedShoes

And I'm gone again. Member
    The middle one confuses me. You said you darkened Sonic's eyes, but it looks like you darkened his skin instead.

16. Volpino

Volpino

No, he did darken the eyes. The skin is an optical illusion effect since you aren't getting the 'bright' effect from the eyes. Maybe just brighten up all the white parts on the sprite instead of darken the eyes?

Edit: I also managed to find that concept I was going on about in Retro's wiki. I can't believe I didn't look there before...

[​IMG]

I'm still trying (key word: trying) to do Tails (the hold up is that I still have no clue how to effectively shade in Inkscape without creating 10,000 layers) and this is the concept I'm going off as a reference.

17. GerbilSoft

GerbilSoft

RickRotate'd. Administrator
    USA
    rom-properties
    This is actually a common misconception. The Genesis doesn't use 24-bit RGB, it uses 9-bit RGB. An MD color value of 0xEEE, which is the maximum value that can be stored in the Color RAM, maps to pure white. (The R, G, and B output lines on the console are set to +1.0V.) Most emulators incorrectly scale this to 224 because they simply shift the 3-bit component values to the left by 5 bits.

Hence, pure white should in fact be RGB(255,255,255) on the Genesis. (Incidentally, why are you attempting to limit yourself to the Genesis color palette in an "HD" remake?)

*addendum: previously, it was thought that when Highlight was enabled, you'd end up with a color even brighter than regular white. This turned out to be false; highlighted 0xEEE is the same as normal 0xEEE.

18. Willie

Willie

Speaking of limiting this HD remake with limits from the Genesis, will this remake have a widescreen option? That would be awesome.

19. Gambit

Gambit

Sonic 2 HD Staff - Level Artist Member
    Sonic 2 HD
    Seeing as how the max resolution is going to be 1920x1080 I would say wide screen is the default.

20. Willie

Willie

Oh cool. I thought the resolution was going to be the Genesis resolution but just four times larger.

Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.