don't click here

Sonic Classic Collection

Discussion in 'General Sonic Discussion' started by Dark Sonic, Sep 22, 2009.

Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.
  1. E-122-Psi

E-122-Psi

Sonic CD and 3D would have been nice additions but may not have transferred as well due to the console's limits (3D might have made it fine though). Personally adding Mean Bean Machine would have made a sell for me, then again the lack of multiplayer may have put that down too.

2. Covarr

Covarr

Sentient Cash Register Member
    Trapped in my own thoughts.
    Two stageplays, a screenplay, and an album
    Since there's no decent video footage of this collection (so far only horribly shitty camcorder videos), I thought I'd upload something. A mediocre playthrough of EHZ, I tried to show off some of the emulation quirks present in this collection, such as the weird camera stuff and the incredible pitch-enhancing speed boots. S1, S3&K videos MAYBE coming soon.

I didn't record any of the bottom screen because frankly there's nothing worth recording on the bottom screen.

3. Blue Blood

Blue Blood

Thanks, Covarr. The ring loss and helicopter sounds are very... not good. Assuming you're using no$, could you change the settings so we see colours as they'd usually appear, and not these washed out ones ifyou make any more videos?

4. Overlord

Overlord

Now playable in Smash Bros Ultimate Moderator
    Long-term happiness
    Well, the pitch altering is certainly... different. =P

Why does Sega have such a difficult time making a sound core? Can;t they just buy one off Steve Snake like they've done in the past?

5. Techokami

Techokami

For use only on NTSC Genesis systems Researcher
    HoleNet!
    Sonic Worlds Next
    They are inside Game.pak and encoded/compressed in some oddball format. I didn't have much luck with it yet.

6. Covarr

Covarr

Sorry about that, I didn't bother changing the default (it was set to GBASP mode). Future videos will be made with better colors.

7. Rika Chou

Rika Chou

Tech Member
    Could they be possibly extracted from memory when being played in an emulator?

8. Polygon Jim

Polygon Jim

Eternal Tech Member
    across town from Hinchy
    All the bitches.

I've tried that, and I couldn't find a Genesis/Mega Drive header in memory.

9. Covarr

Covarr

Ask and ye shall receive. Sonic 3 & Knuckles.

You can't really tell on Youtube, but the special stage is WAY more difficult than it ought to be. It has this way of skipping forward and backward that interferes with your timing, and is quite distracting. Also, something to pay attention for: Thanks to the streaming SFX, the spindash sound has the ability to play over itself if you press the buttons too fast while charging it. It sound pretty weird.

10. LOst

LOst

Tech Member
    Don't search for the header. It is basically removed.

An emulator can't function in proper speeds without an uncompressed ROM, byte swapped or not.
    You just search for something, like a sequence of code you know hasn't been changed, and if no match, just search with swapped bytes, words, whatever!
    It is just a pain to find it, but ouce found, dump and convert to the original format.

11. Effexor

Effexor

JUSTICE Member
    This just in (from me): Sonic 1's level select AND debug work. Just use whatever you have set for the DS's Y-button as the Genesis's A-button, whatever is set as the DS's A-button for the Genesis's C-button, and whatever is set to the DS's B-button for the Genesis's B-button. Same with the Knucles in Sonic 2.

Oh, and Labyrinth has the ripples.

12. Blue Blood

Blue Blood

Thanks again. I still think it look good you know. Not original hardware good, but more than just passable.

13. Polygon Jim

Polygon Jim

Eternal Tech Member
    across town from Hinchy
    All the bitches.

Code (Text):
    1. P.ES.AGM GE A.RDVI EC( S)0.9119A..RPOSIN .CHT E  ...EHGDHEGO...  ../MG0 .004 .-910.M9 J.g!;......!... ..o....UJ..qNqN..`.J......fy ...|f..K|..L....L..)......

You were saying?

14. corneliab

corneliab

Honestly, I don't think this is passable at all. I'll probably be trading the game in within the next few days or so.

I'd rather play the games on a console than sacrifice framerate and the integrity of the titles for portability.

15. WTF. Is that frame rate for real? I don't care how much it cost, getting a better screen on my Nomad is better than this. Just because it's better than we thought it'd be still doesn't make it crappy.

16. Covarr

Covarr

The framerate isn't as bad as it looks. I don't know how to measure it, but it feels like it's certainly more than 30FPS. The thing is, Youtube cuts the framerate to 30fps. If it was already below 60fps, then the uploaded video will be below 30fps.

17. Ell678

Ell678

Am I Annoying You? Member
    Barrow, England
    Sonic Incursion
    This is a download, not a sale. Only for S3K during lunch breaks at work because JenesisDS doesn't work with that game.

18. Polygon Jim

Polygon Jim

Eternal Tech Member
    across town from Hinchy
    All the bitches.
    So, I ripped the ROMs from it today. I wasn't able to get them to run in any emulator, but they seem to be proper rips.

Download here.

19. Old news.

Anyway, the music can be really weird at times... like when you get the speed shoes, the sped up music has the pitch all wrong, probably because they are just playing the same waveform faster. The original changed the tempo, something this collection can't do.

I wonder if the extracted ROMs would be useful for anything. I do wonder at what level some of the changes were applied, such as the repositioned/resized HUD and the extra scrolling that compensates for the narrower screen. I'd guess the extra scrolling is on the DS side, but the HUDs could be in the ROMs.

20. nineko

nineko

I am the Holy Cat Tech Member
    italy
    I quickly compared a clean Sonic 1 rom with the one provided by Jim, apparently there are 410890 different bytes out of 524288... Maybe I will run some deeper test later today.

edit: the songs are in the same place, though.

Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.