don't click here

Badniks & Bosses Art

Discussion in 'Sonic 2 HD (Archive)' started by Vincent, Apr 24, 2008.

Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.
  1. Have you seen any of the Xmen films? There are some shots of Pyro in there that might make some good inspiration. Unfortunately I can only find one, and it's not very good quality. These fireballs could really use some fancy textures photoshopped on, like the lava.

2. nineko

nineko

I am the Holy Cat Tech Member
    italy
    Fortunecity lol.

[​IMG]

3. Cerulean Nights, had you considered my idea about the filiment remaining "hot" momentarily after it lights up?

Also, Ghora should have larger pupils. The one you've made has smaller pupils, which make him look cross eyed. Will you be adding a reflection to his body as the fireballs rotate?!

4. Hamneggs

Hamneggs

Official Breakfast of S2HD Member
    TEXAS
    Networked lighting
    Epic awesomeness, that would be. Perhaps the flames could drop off sparks as he moves as well...

5. Cerulean Nights

Cerulean Nights

Sonic 2 HD Sprite Artist Member
    Sorry, I mean to reply to that and must've forgot. I'll consider your idea, I think it could look really neat.

Having a reflection on his body was one of the first things I thought about, but that would require a ton of different frames of animation for it to be smooth, might be going a little overboard, and I don't even know how that would be implemented into the game. We'll see though.

Also, I don't think the pupils need to be any bigger, just moved to a different spot.

[​IMG]

6. scanline99

scanline99

Passing By Member
    UK
    ???
    CN, having looked at what you've done with the fireball leads me to believe that the original just doesn't cut the mustard in HD - and that is no fault of yours, it simply just doesn't translate! I think what Gambit, JakeyBoy and Nineko have said/shown make a great deal of sense - in a nutshell, its time to think outside of the box with this one and thrown in some serious initiative.

In the last half hour I quickly cobbled together how I think the fireball could go based off what has been suggested. I also thought of the flaming torches that made their debut in Metal Slug 2 on the Egyptian Tomb level (don't know if you've seen or played this, but it well-crafted animationally). This might be able to help in the form of a template, but at the very least I felt it was better than simply verbalising my thoughts:

[​IMG]

7. ICEknight

ICEknight

Researcher Researcher
    The problem is, since it actually throws those fireballs, there should be many animations for when it has all 4, 3, 2, 1 or none circling aroung.

Not that I'm saying it can't be done, but it's not so easy.

EDIT:
    That's awesome, but I feel it would look more at home in a game like Wind Waker. I think we should take a realistic approach when dealing with elements like water, fire, electricity, etc...

It worked with the Flasher's lightbulb.

8. Elratauru

Elratauru

Little Shiny Emurralds Member
    Lovely. I must admit the force is strong in you, padawan.

Oh scan, our mighty animation lord.

9. Canned Karma

Canned Karma

S2HD Project Manager Member
    Sonic 2 HD, various 3D work
    The fact that the fireballs are thrown is one of the reasons why I'm a fan of the spinning style for them. Not to mention they have a great cartoon look to them. More realistic styles, like the one scan drew up, are great for stationary flames, but are far more difficult to be utilized in animations.

10. steveswede

steveswede

Ask my hand
    Fighting against the Unitary State of Europe
    I like the reflections on the body but not too keen on the eyes.

The concept one that's on the database to me looks perfect on the eyes.

[​IMG]

Any chance of doing a test with the eyes identical to these.

11. [​IMG]

The flame in the original is much more red also, similar to a strontium chloride, or lithium chloride flame.

12. Cerulean Nights

Cerulean Nights

[​IMG]

I'm not gonna lie, but I think mine is much better. The left side pupil is just to big, I don't like the eyebrows and there's just something off about it. Probably what you are thinking about mine, haha.

Here is the concept art, you'll notice how small the pupils are there, and mine are nowhere near that small.

[​IMG]

Also, pertaining to the fire being redder, again the concept art shows something different. I try to pick and choose things from the original sprite and concept art, and try to imagine what the original creators would make it look like if they didn't have the limits that they did with a Genesis cart.

Also, subsubstantive, this is for you

[​IMG]

I forgot to disable a layer on his back, so it doesn't look exactly right, ignore that. Not perfect but you get the idea.

Edit:
    That looks amazing! Maybe once I get the initial look of the fire down we can work together to make something awesome, as I don't think I could make fire animate like that no matter how hard I try.

13. Gambit

Gambit

Sonic 2 HD Staff - Level Artist Member
    Sonic 2 HD
    The filament needs to cool off more slowly than that, though it looks good aside from the back being kinda funky in that one bit there at the end.

14. Canned Karma

Canned Karma

S2HD Project Manager Member
    Sonic 2 HD, various 3D work
    I'm just now noticing the panel on the back of the Ghora in the concept art. While not necessary for the badnik, it's an interesting idea. CN, care to take a crack at adding that in?

15. Cerulean Nights

Cerulean Nights

I thought about that, but the concept art is viewing him slight more from the side, so you can see more of his back. If it was present on mine, it would only be the very edge of it, and would be hard to make out what it is. I really wanted to add it, too, because I could get some neat shading in there.

Also, I think this is looks a lot better than the initial one.

[​IMG]

16. I think adding the panel in a manner which is visible and decipherable is the way to go. True it would have to be placed over further which is not authentic to the official art, but those official pieces have been inconsistent before, so it's not exactly like we have to follow them perfectly. Like Cerulean Nights mentioned it would add some nice detail, I agree, and it also has the added benefit of making the badnik look more like a robot then an alien. I say do it, let's order room service!

Also, thanks for humoring this old fool with the filament, but I second Gambit, it ought to cool off less abruptly.

17. MaximusDM

MaximusDM

Sonic 2HD - Concept Artist Member
    Photoshop doesn't let me make animated png's. I couldn't figure out how to reverse the animation either.
    [​IMG]

Not really sure what is up with the blinking either.

18. test-object

test-object

By Torm, no! This is terrible! I... I had no idea Member
    Use Firefox's APNG Edit.
    I'll give you advice when you made the APNG.

19. Cerulean Nights

Cerulean Nights

That looks pretty cool, but I really want to keep it having a cartoon quality, it just looks a little too realistic.

Here is my latest attempt. I think it looks good, except I am going to make the ball in the middle swirling instead of bouncing like it is now. That just kinda happened that way.

[​IMG]

20. ICEknight

ICEknight

Researcher Researcher
    That looks good, but I think MaximusDM's approach has more potential to look better if it keeps being worked on.

I really think things like fire or lava in this HD version should be given a realistic look.

Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.