don't click here

WIP General Art

Discussion in 'Sonic 2 HD (Archive)' started by Vincent, Oct 2, 2008.

1. Vincent

Vincent

Sonic 2HD - Project Leader & Chara Member
    Sonic 2 HD
    We're almost there Comp! ;)

-While the dark blue is well blended with the blend tool, the spotlight must be rounder, smaller and have a much rougher shine in a glass-like manner.
    -Always talking about the blue round part, it suddenly becomes cut on its area below, try making it a bit more circular.
    -The top white line must be mirrored! Try copy+paste on the left side and mirror it for the right part!

2. Compsense

Compsense

NC, USA
    some dance album or summat
    Making it smaller and rounder was all easy, but .. rougher shine in a glass-like manner? Kind of wasn't sure what exactly to try there, so I applied one of the metal textures extremely lightly on it. If it isn't exactly what you were looking for, I'll try something else ^^U

I'm not sure why it was doing that, but it's fixed now (the original is completely round, but the resulting PNG was not)

I found out it was actually doing that because of textures I had applied too far up, affecting that part of the "white line". I removed all textures from up there, so it should look perfectly symmetrical now. :D

Original/Old/New
    [​IMG] [​IMG] [​IMG]

Is it just me, or does that white line still not look symmetrical? There's no reason it shouldn't be, by now ¬¬
    Edit: I give up and decide it's just my eyes o.O I even tried mirroring that side of the white line while in image form (so, in Gimp, editing the PNG), but it still looks off.

3. Gambit

Gambit

Sonic 2 HD Staff - Level Artist Member
    Sonic 2 HD
    I know this is a horrible mock up, but this is about how I think the light shine should look on the bottom.

[​IMG]

4. Compsense

Compsense

NC, USA
    Hrmm

[​IMG]

Too dull?

Edit: meh, why not, I was just going to wait until the platform deal was finished with, but I see no reason why not to just post it now. Besides the fact that, well, now I'm potentially juggling 2 images in this thread ._.

Just something I was messing with in between posts.

[​IMG] [​IMG]

Methinks the metal texture looks too symmetrical at the moment..

5. ICEknight

ICEknight

Researcher Researcher
    Hmm, I think that should look like a metal cylinder, being the "cork" of sorts it's supposed to be (always blocking the pipes).

Using the NTSC filter might help seeing its correct shading through all those vertical lines.

6. Clutch

Clutch

It was a dark and stormy night... Member
    Yeah, I don't really see it as square cubes either. Looks much more like a cylinder with an indent in the side.

7. Compsense

Compsense

NC, USA
    That's what I went for, but I went a bit overdose on the textures, ended up making it look too flat oo

Hrmm, I'm not sure how to do that, but I scaled it down then back up twice in Gimp to attempt a similar look.

[​IMG]

I only see blurred messed. Might have helped if I knew how to apply an NTSC filter without going there ingame (unless, of course, that's the only way). I agree it's supposed to be round anywho - here, small change to the textures, trying to round it out a bit.

Original/Old/New
    [​IMG] [​IMG] [​IMG]

8. Canned Karma

Canned Karma

S2HD Project Manager Member
    Sonic 2 HD, various 3D work
    I like the direction you're taking that Compsense. It would be great to see a 'clean' metal version for comparison's sake as well. We haven't decided on the metal style for CPZ yet, so having your current version and a cleaner one may play a role in helping us to hammer that out.

9. Mastered Realm

Mastered Realm

-
    An NTSC filter is not needed if you go to photoshop and put a Movement distortion with the angle of 0º and 1px of distance (if it's at 1x) should work =P.

10. Lapper

Lapper

Lappering Tech Member
    England
    Sonic Studio, Sonic Physics Guide, Kyle & Lucy, Freedom Planet 2
  11. Woofmute

Woofmute

stuck in ram Member
    turning into a dreamcast
    Hi, I'm new (duh), and this is completely unrelated to what you are already discussing,
    but anyway, how is this for a start? (yes, it looks horrible at the moment, it's my first HD type drawing,
    and will probably be changed drastically).
    [​IMG]

12. Elratauru

Elratauru

Little Shiny Emurralds Member
    Hahaha... To a start, its not bad however, I suppose we guys start every shape first...shape to shape until we finish the first thing, then we start coloring and shading...

And don't limit the use of colours, use every color you can.

We should ask...don't remember who did the...valkirye? is called?... That freaking bird from...sky chase, I suppose the same guy should do the plane ^^

13. Woofmute

Woofmute

stuck in ram Member
    turning into a dreamcast
    Whatever will get this project along I guess.

14. Gambit

Gambit

Sonic 2 HD
    Ya know that guy named Philosoraptor? Yeah, he did that.

15. Vincent

Vincent

Sonic 2HD - Project Leader & Chara Member
    Sonic 2 HD
    Any "start" which is passionate is a good one Jakeford! ;)

I suggest you to have a depth look over the Tutorials section, where you can get the directions of the Vector Art tools.

And about the Tornado I planned to add a special driving Tails frame, with googles. But we'll see it laters into dev.

16. Elratauru

Elratauru

Little Shiny Emurralds Member
    ...You're evil, I just didnt remember who did that thing, I knew it was part of our staff...

17. Gambit

Gambit

Sonic 2 HD
    Mwahahahahaha.

18. Woofmute

Woofmute

stuck in ram Member
    turning into a dreamcast
    What would you say would make the spinning tube things from metropolis look good, a rectangle, with the diagonal lines cut out of it, and a green/dark green gradient?

19. Blanche Hodapp

Blanche Hodapp

*urp* Eternal Queen
    Do you mean the mesh drums? They'd probably look best rendered in 3D, then shaded/drawn over to match the rest of the art.

I also think things like that should be left until EHZ is finished, at least

20. Gambit

Gambit

Sonic 2 HD
    I'm assuming you're referring to the mesh areas that are just in the level tiles itself and not the huge spinning thing. Though I'm still not really sure how to go about it. You could try making a gradient and then cutting out parts, like in the tutorial for the bush, and then detailing all the parts individually.

Metropolis Zone is quite a ways off yet, so if you decide to mess with something else, I'd like to see these fellas worked on a bit.

[​IMG]