don't click here

BREAKING NEWS ON RETRO FIRST@RETRO

Discussion in 'Announcements' started by Scarred Sun, Jul 10, 2009.

1. Xkeeper

Xkeeper

lgkdfvlbjepasvdjzcvpaaaaaaaaaaaaaaaaaaaaaaaa Researcher
    the bone zone
    current-project-fart
    It only went horribly wrong because people are dipshits.

That said, if you donate $500 today, you can ban me from Retro for a whole week :v:

2. PARASOL

PARASOL

I'm pretty sure you must have been around the scene (sws2b, sclassic, etc.) since early 2003 (or earlier) to be an oldbie.

Edit: Sorry, rushed.

3. Blanche Hodapp

Blanche Hodapp

*urp* Eternal Queen
    Because I joined in 2001

4. Sparks

Sparks

Sondro Gomez / Kyle & Lucy
    It was morely a joke. :v:

5. Congrats to the Retro team for already being able to bring back the Sonic 2 HD and most recent posts of Eng/ Rev Eng. At this rate, the forum will be back in no time. :thumbsup:

6. Vendettagainst

Vendettagainst

Apparently shooting kills things Member
    Congrats Chimpo!

7. Yuzu

Yuzu

Before drama starts again, remember this is a serious topic.

Oh and I hereby announce this day: 'Chimpo Day'

8. MooMoo

MooMoo

Leader Bean Member
    I've been away working and stuff, so I have no idea what went down or what went down before it went down to cause it from going down ( :psyduck: ) So what exactly did X64 and the other dude do?

9. Xkeeper

Xkeeper

the bone zone
    current-project-fart
    All the forums were deleted (threads are all stuffed into one forum), a few user accounts were deleted...

10. MooMoo

MooMoo

Leader Bean Member
    Was it hax or just a random error?

11. muteKi

muteKi

Fuck it Member
    One thing I'm curious about as per the user accounts being deleted -- were only oldbies able to access the forum when some of the crazier stuff was going on, or were lots of people and my account was one of the few that was cut?

12. Tweaker

Tweaker

Banned
    I guess I need to clear up a couple of things.

Xkeeper explained the bans thing best—the money was an after-effect of gratitude of several members that came up in IRC after we mentioned banning these members. It eventually started a joke that culminated in Chimpo's "Ban Chaos Hedgie & Wetflame fund." Most of you didn't see this because it was in the oldbie lounge; it was in the oldbie lounge because, well... a large majority of you would not understand and blow things out of proportion like you did right now. Good going!

Secondly, Wetflame and Chaos Hedgie were banned because of constantly inciting drama with people, causing multiple topic splits, etc; taking into account their history, every time we've ever given them another chance to come back in they always end up pulling the same shit again, if even in a different way. Hedgie in particular is a self-admitted troll and argumentative by nature, and it's been affecting the board environment in a very bad way. We decided we were done trying to babysit both of them day after day and were finally washing our hands off with them.

For those who wish to imply as such, the money did not speed up the banning process—it was a result of the ban process. And it was a small fundraising effort that was contained to the few people who expressed interest in IRC about it. In other words, it was no different than when Chimpo donated $100 to save Retro in exchange for one of Scarred Sun's batches of cookies. Stop blowing things out of proportion.

For the record, I've also provided the same information to TSSZ News when comment was requested from me regarding the manner, so you can be sure that any information that gets out will be truthful.

Also, regarding Chimpo's modship, I think those who can only point out the times where he was trolling are completely and utterly ignorant of his past experience of a mod (which I have personally lived through in at least 3 forum incarnations), his willingness to help improve the forums, and the fact that he is extremely trustworthy with both power and influence. If you're skeptical, then that's fine; however, have it be known that there will be no biased decisions on his part, and there's nothing stopping us from reversing the decision if something goes wrong. Easy.

Can we get on with our lives, now? That'd be pretty rad. :)

13. Xkeeper

Xkeeper

the bone zone
    current-project-fart
    x64 got the password through less-than-honest means.

14. LazloPsylus

LazloPsylus

Buried under SSRG Somewhere Tech Member
    Academy City
    SSRG, world domination, a billion and one research projects...
    Excellent explanation, Tweaker. The decision to make Chimpo a Mod is a good one, and should help clean up some of the shit on the board. As for the bannings, if Chaos Hedgie and Wetflame knew when to just suck it up and accept that there are other opinions, then they wouldn't have been banned. However, what's happened has happened. People miseinterpret, people don't accept other's viewpoints, and people just act as general assholes. I, for one, hope that Retro can move on and improve from this.

15. GeneHF

GeneHF

SEGA-ier than you'll potentially ever be. Site Staff
    Scenic Studiopolis
    Complete Global Conquest
    There's no doubt Retro will move on. Hell, the forum restoration's going okay so far. What's up in the air is how many people will get off the ride here versus how many will keep going along with it.

But yes, now more than ever would be a great time to realize the whole drama shit needs to stop. It's been going on for... what, six to ten-plus years? Honestly, most of you people are at least over 16 years old. This isn't any freakin' Habbo Hotel, GameFAQs, NeoGAF or whatever.

16. Overlord

Overlord

Now playable in Smash Bros Ultimate Moderator
    Long-term happiness
    Wow. We have 14,000 topics to move back by hand? Well, THAT sucks.

Welcome to the club, Chimpo - our power levels are equal, now. =P

17. saxman

saxman

Oldbie Tech Member
    Here's a question -- how exactly do you know where each topic is supposed to go? I am not familliar with how the information is stored and such, so it makes me curious to know if it actually has information that tells you where it was or if you have to figure each one out yourself.

18. GeneHF

GeneHF

SEGA-ier than you'll potentially ever be. Site Staff
    Scenic Studiopolis
    Complete Global Conquest
    Usually it's looking at the topic a bit to get a context of it and then sorting it where it would seem most likely to belong. It's not too hard a job so much as it is daunting.

19. Overlord

Overlord

Now playable in Smash Bros Ultimate Moderator
    Long-term happiness
    Yeah, what Gene said. It'll take a while, but it should be doable.

20. Chibisteven

Chibisteven

US
    Alot has happened in one day and as usual I probally slept through it while it happened. (Yes, I take naps).