don't click here

Michael Jackson's role in Sonic 3 confirmed!

Discussion in 'General Sonic Discussion' started by Mad Echidna, Nov 10, 2007.

Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.
  1. T.Q.

T.Q.

The Sims 2, Tim Drake [Robin] Member
    Here. (Link edited to correct version, thanks to The ??)

It's the same video as the one previously posted, except that the address ends in '...&fmt=18'. It's a way to see a better quality version of any video file on YouTube (provided that the video was previously in higher quality. Otherwise, there's no difference).

2. muteKi

muteKi

Fuck it Member
    You got it wrong, the prefix should be "&fmt=18".

3. Fred

Fred

Taking a break Oldbie
    Portugal
    Sonic 3 Unlocked
    You got it wrong, it's a suffix, not a prefix.

4. muteKi

muteKi

Fuck it Member
    Whoops, you're right. I can't think straight anymore, I guess.

5. XCubed

XCubed

Will Someday Own a Rent-A-Center Oldbie
    I emailed this to myself when I didn't have a computer (YAY 2nd time it was stolen ^_^)...but completely forgot about it:

http://www.eeggs.com/items/2279.html

Basically MJ wasn't allowed to be credited with his name because of contractual conditions.

I found this when looking for "Happy Birthday Lisa" on YouTube....the episode of the Simpsons where this crazy guy thought HE was MJ....but he was actually voiced by him...heh. Weird, voicing a crazy guy who thinks he IS you.

Is there anyway that someone can get the actually file for the video in case it just one day "dissapears" off YouTube?

6. Tweaker

Tweaker

Banned
    That's interesting... he provided character voices, but wasn't allowed to sing? And he even used a fake pseudonym for his character voice?

Then that settles it! I have absolutely no doubt that Michael Jackson did compose the music! The songs that were removed were obviously done so due to legal issues, as we initially thought... but now we actually have reasoning behind that! :D

You're awesome, by the way.

7. ICEknight

ICEknight

Researcher Researcher
    Here it is.

EDIT: Oops, it looks like it might not include Stranger in Moscow... I'll post about it later, when I finish downloading it.

8. muteKi

muteKi

Fuck it Member
    But it still doesn't *quite* answer the question of how Sonic Jam comes along only a few months after S&K collection and the original music is still in the game.

If the game just emulated Sonic 3 I would understand. But it doesn't; like S&K collection, a lot of it is ported. Some of the music in the other games, in fact, is easily accessible in audio files in an easily playable format right on the disc, like the 2-P zones in Sonic 2.

9. ICEknight

ICEknight

Researcher Researcher
    Okay, so the link I posted earlier just includes seven of MJ's songs, and Stranger isn't there.

However, when you look for "michael jackson instrumental version" in eMule, there's a series of 46 titles where the same track from the video is indeed included.

The bad news is that some of those (or at least the oldest song from the five I've checked) seem to have been made with one of those voice removers, but I've checked more recent songs like "Black or white" and they seem to be completely clean.

I'm thinking these might be some official karaoke versions... or perhaps they were unoficially leaked.

10. P.P.A.

P.P.A.

SONIC 2 SUCKS, SONIC CD FOREVER Member
    Germany
    Sonic MD (Currently: Art for Zone 3)
  11. XCubed

XCubed

Will Someday Own a Rent-A-Center Oldbie
    Wtf? But that's from Sonic 1!

Btw, some parts don't match up...the the keys.....it sounded worse and worse as it went on, but it's still interesting.

12. ICEknight

ICEknight

Researcher Researcher
    That was just a joke remix, I believe.

13. djdocsonic

djdocsonic

Testing YOUR Hacks Since 2005... Member
    Emerald Hill Zone
    Looking for a Rom Hack to Test.
    Do you mean the Happy Birthday Lisa video? I've downloaded it off Youtube and its an FLV file... failing that I could easily rip this off my Simpsons DVD.. im pretty sure its on one of those....

14. muteKi

muteKi

Fuck it Member
    There's that deleted youtube site I think Tweaker had that was NSFW; there might have been another.

15. Puto

Puto

Shin'ichi Kudō, detective. Tech Member
    Portugal, Oeiras
    Part of Team Megamix, but haven't done any actual work in ages.
    Because for S&K Collection, all the music had to be rearranged. On Sonic Jam, they just recorded the music straight from the Mega Drive. It's possible that they didn't have permission to rearrange the music.

16. Midway the Echidna

Midway the Echidna

Chicago, IL
    Java Arkanoid, codingcabana.net (in-progress)
    Most members of the Sonic Community knew for a fact that Michael Jackson helped compose the soundtrack for years. Icecap sounds like MJ's song, "Jam" played in fast forward. That picture of MJ hugging some guy in a Sonic costume was leaked before I even lost my first tooth (age withheld). Not only that, but even without the interviews with Sega and MJ, the mid-level boss music in Sonic 3 was a dead giveaway. His role is undeniable!

Pardon me for going off topic, but if Jacko wasn't a pedophile, why the hell would he invite kids to his private theme park?

17. ICEknight

ICEknight

Researcher Researcher
    Suspecting something doesn't equal "knowing for a fact", and also the final game might not be including any of MJ's compositions besides that (later removed) Stranger in Moscow version, after all.

EDIT: By the way, I think the Sonic+MJ pics were made to promote Sonic 2's launch.

18. Midway the Echidna

Midway the Echidna

Chicago, IL
    Java Arkanoid, codingcabana.net (in-progress)

Not only that, but many of the PCs at the time did not have the proper synthesizers to run the original music, which explains inferior sound quality in the levels, which used music just like the original. The reason they used original music for CNZ, ICZ, and LBZ when they could have just redone the instrumentation is because even though it is legal to use the original work, like by porting it to Saturn, it may have been illegal to rearrange Jackson's work.

This may not be the case, as Weird Al Yankovic does not even need permission to take songs, like Bad and redo the instrumentation a little and then make his own lyrics. The lyrics might be the only reason it is legal though, so feel free to debate on my statement.

19. drx

drx

mfw Researcher
    :rolleyes:
    Go hug a powerline or something. Your statement was so retarded that it made wetflame commit suicide.

Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.