Sonic Dream Team (New 3D Game from Hardlight, coming to Apple Arcade December 5)

Discussion in 'General Sonic Discussion' started by The Joebro64, Jul 28, 2022.

1. Gestalt

Gestalt

Sphinx in Chains Member
    Thanks for clearing that misconception up, Mana. Not a single one to be honest. It was just the impression that I got. I assume Sonic Racing is perfectly playable with a controller too, then? *surprised*

2. HammerKirby

HammerKirby

HammerKeebi Member
    Funnily enough most of those elements mentioned in the article are present in Frontiers, just jumbled together in a way that feels confused lol.

3. RDNexus

RDNexus

To X, folks. Try to make SEGA see the WAY of peak Sonic gaming xD

4. Mana

Mana

Good! Great! Awesome! Outstanding! Amazing! Member
    Apple Arcade deals tend to not be permanent exclusives. People brought up Sonic Racing and Chu Chu Rocket never receiving ports but we have TSR on conoles and Chu Chu Rocket probably didn't do well enough to justify putting the effort and money into a port.

If the reviews on this remain strong with both critics and fans I could easily see a "Dream Team Deluxe" coming out for major consoles at some point once the exclusivity deal expires.

I don't really keep up with Apple Arcade games but an example I can think of is the third Steven Univeese game "Unleash the Light" which was funded by Apple and was an Apple Arcade exclusive for a year before it received console ports. This occurred because the game was popular and the previous games on consoles had performed strongly (not strongly enough ti say no to someone else funding it though haha).

I'm more excited for this than I ever imagined I'd be. I can't wait to play it.

5. Blue Spikeball

Blue Spikeball

So this will be the series' (latest) Mario ripoff to go with the Zelda ripoff (Frontiers)? :V

Ironic how Frontiers took inspiration from the most successful Zelda ever, while this is taking inspiration from the black sheep of the Mario 3d series :V

It should be interesting to see a Sonic collect-a-thon, though... Assuming I get to play it, because I don't see myself ever buying an Apple device :colbert:

6. Sneekie

Sneekie

Sneasy Member
    The circumstances of this game being made makes this idea unlikely but having a third pillar of Sonic based on the linear Adventure games to co-exist with Classic Sonic gameplay and Frontiers-style open zone gameplay would be amazing

In any case, I'd like to see Hardlight spread their wings more like this

7. kazz

kazz

16-bait Member
    From the little they've shown, I'm getting much more of a 'Sonic Odyssey' vibe than I am a 'Sonic Sunshine' vibe. Which despite being an equal ripoff is still a good idea and definitely moreso what Frontiers should have been. If this turns out good I can't help but feel we're in for another Mania situation where devs with passion get permission from Sega to royally embarrass them lol. I myself am slightly iffy just because the bits they've shown look fun but also still pretty fangamey despite the budget. Which is somewhat intolerable since I'd HAVE to pay to play as opposed to pretty much any other decent 3D Sonic fangame. That and the level design is just looking maybe a bit too open and aimless for my tastes. Though yeah that's all my surface-level first impression and I still can't wait to see more.

If this captures the Adventure-era spirit and gets better reception than Frontiers then Sonic Team damn well better be taking notes. Though with Iizuka already contemplating another Adventure game, and with how the Frontiers updates went, I think a turn in the tides might already be happening..?

Last edited: Nov 9, 2023
  8. Blue Spikeball

Blue Spikeball

Considering that Frontiers sold 3.5 million copies, outselling every other Sonic game released in over a decade by far, I'd say they would be dumb not to follow up on it.

Last edited: Nov 10, 2023
  9. Taking into account the fact that this game's release date is set under two months after Superstars's, I think if this game were get the multiplatform release everyone here wants, it would end up with the sales of Superstars and this game cannibalizing each other.

10. Mana

Mana

>When you've been beaten in critical and (seemingly) fan reception by the smaller budget side game you didn't expect to get much attention compared to your big budget AAA effort; twice now.
    [​IMG]

(I love Frontiers and don't have as many issues with Forces as others its just crazy this happened twice.)

11. The Joebro64

The Joebro64

SAY HELLO TO MY CHOCOLATE BLEND Member
    you're aware iizuka is the producer of the entire sonic franchise right

12. Snowbound

Snowbound

13. Chimpo

Chimpo

I Gotta Be Me Member
    Los Angeles, 2029
    Don't Forget! Try Your Best!
    That sudden jerk movement
    [​IMG]

14. LordOfSquad

LordOfSquad

bobs over baghdad Member
    Winnipeg, MB
    making cool music no one gives a shit about
    Yeah, I'm loving the general premise of this but it looks like there's a real lack of momentum in the movement, which is too bad because it'd probably be a lot of fun otherwise.

15. Mana

Mana

Yes. You're aware I think Iizuka is an amazing producer and love his involvement in the franchise (I even like Forces) right?

It was a joke at the fact that it seems like they do better with the less resources they have.

16. muteKi

muteKi

Fuck it Member
    Is that really that surprising though? Maintaining a consistent small scope helps to deal with the inevitable deadline shrinkage to get the various games out by their respective holiday seasons. Same sort of idea behind Colors DS, Lost World 3DS, and the Sonic Boom 3DS games being of a more consistent quality than their higher-profile namesakes

17. HammerKirby

HammerKirby

HammerKeebi Member
    Idk about Lost World 3ds. For one it's scope isn't really that much smaller than the Wii U version since its still a hybrid 2d/3d platformer (although did it have the gravity stuff from the Wii U game? I guess that would lower the scope a good amount) But more importantly, I think the level design is significantly worse. It has a huge quality drop-off right after the first world, with boring fruit pushing levels and such going on for 10+ minutes at a time.

18. bombatheechidna

bombatheechidna

This is beautiful. I haven’t been this excited for a mobile game since the Christian Whitehead and Stealth ports for Sonic 1, Sonic CD, and Sonic 2.

19. Kyro

Kyro

Itdoes but in much smaller scope. I think it lacks the tubes from windy hill 1 HD for example but you still have the spherical planetoids every now and them, but they are much less common in 3ds for sure

20. Starduster

Starduster

Can bench press at least two Sonic the Hedgehogs Member
    Britain
    Fighting my procrastination addiction
    And so it begins. We have a cumulative minute of footage and our first chip in the paintwork.